1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 5:21 PM by JackRodges

Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM

ZoocMan85

Hey Everyone,

So i have a rewards program application and i want to sync the data to an online CRM solution like wordpress  or joomla etc. Basically every user would have a login name  on the crm and the primary key to sync the data would be ultimately their login name. I was thinking maybe doing this with an http Post :// command to wordpress with a rest API, and then map the fields. Has anyone successfully done this ? Would love to hear the feedback. Thanks

Z

• 1. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
          taylorsharpe

I've used Word Press a lot with FileMaker and I've used Joomla, but not with FileMaker.  The Word Press solutions were all in MySQL, which is easy to attach as an external device to FileMaker and make table occurrences out of the MySQL tables right in FileMaker.  That way you forget all of the syncing and just see the live data... and change it if appropriate.  I have one MySQL Word Press solution used by an iOS app in the Apple store because FileMaker was too slow.  But I use FileMaker for all the development and maintenance and just attach the MySQL tables and use ESS to make table occurrences and it works great. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
            nicolai

Just a small correction - Wordpress and Joomla are CMS and not CRM.

Using login names as primary keys sounds like a fairly bad idea. You would need to implement checks that the username has never been used before.

Wordpress API has unfortunately became unusable as there are many automated bots trying to hack it. I had to turn mine off as I was getting around 800 000 attempts a day.

Joomla has REST API, but most of the time you will not be able to use FileMaker post as it does not have control of the headers. You can get around this by using one of the plugins allowing POST or CURL.

As far as I remember, Joomla allows integration using PHP.

• 3. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
              ZoocMan85

Yeah i am at a stand still here and dont know what else to do. This would have to work for runtime applications.

• 4. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                nicolai

Runtime does not support ESS so you have to use APIs. You can use plugins with runtime, though.

Integrating with API usually takes quite a bit of the development time, so if you are trying to distribute something on a cheap it might have a major impact on your budget.

• 5. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                  taylorsharpe

WordPress only uses MySQL and a closely akin database, Maria.  Joomla can use MySQL, MS SQL Server, MS SQL Azure, Postgressql, Oracle, and SQL Lite.  FileMaker can make ODBC ESS connections with MySQL, MS Sql Server, Postgressql and Oracle.  So even on Joomla, you don't have to go through their API to get to the data.  But I think we're seeing the future of efficient connectivity is in RESTful APIs and not ODBC connections. 

By the way, few serious about RESTful APIs with FM use the Insert From URL from FileMaker due to its limitations and instead use plugins.  FileMaker has announced better RESTful API support in 16 and hopefully that will change.  For now, my cheap clients use BaseElements since it is a no-cost license and many of my more advanced clients use Monkey Bread Software because it has the entire CURL library, which is quite useful. 

Nicolia, I'm surprised to hear your WordPress site had to be shut down and it is still the #1 CMS solution out there.  The ones I'm working with haven't been taken down like yours.  That is unfortunate. 

• 6. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                    JackRodges

If JetPack or similar is not installed, the WordPress site might not be secure. I was amused to see that a new site of a few days had 10,000 spam attempts caught by JetPack. Of course it could be exagerating?

• 7. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                      nicolai

Taylor Sharpe

Nicolia, I'm surprised to hear your WordPress site had to be shut down and it is still the #1 CMS solution out there.

it was not shut down, constant hacking attempts made it unusable. Firewall helped a bit, but the main difference was made by closing Wordpress xml-rpc interface.

Being number 1 solution obviously attracts more hacking and vulnerabilities are better known.

The ones I'm working with haven't been taken down like yours.

A lot of Wordpress providers will close xml-rpc by default. Mine was a fresh install on a Linux cloud VM.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                        taylorsharpe

Thanks for the info, Nicolai.  Have you run a Joomla site?  Do they seem to be more secure / less vulnerable?

• 9. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                          ZoocMan85

Thanks for the info guys, I dont want to do any type of direct connections, just Rest API Post commands to wordpress. 

I have wordpress right now setup with the WP Rest API V2 and Basic Auth setup. I just have to get the fields mapped for custom routes. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                            nicolai

Taylor Sharpe

Thanks for the info, Nicolai.  Have you run a Joomla site?  Do they seem to be more secure / less vulnerable?

Sorry, Taylor, I haven't got this expertise. I worked on a project integrating FileMaker Server and Joomla.

As far as I remember it is not much different from Wordpress - e.g. old or badly coded extensions could be a security problem, not keeping the core files up to date or week admin passwords.

I think, because of popularity of Wordpress and a large number of sites its vulnerabilities are well known and get more exposure. On the other hand Joomla and Wordpress are written in PHP, so, I think, they will share tsome of the security issues. I remember reading about SQL injection attack which affected Wordpress and Joomla at the same time.

• 11. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                              nicolai
                              I have wordpress right now setup with the WP Rest API V2

I did not realise that they moved the REST API from plugin into the core files. This is probably a good way to integrate and you should be able to disable xml-rpc if you have to.

• 12. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                                taylorsharpe

Nicolai,

I've heard that Drupal is more secure than Wordpress or Joomla, but don't know why.  SQL Injection attacks are a lot less of a problem now that they are so well known and SQL engines have been updated to prevent most of them.  One good thing to note is that FileMaker was never subject to a SQL injection attack because a SQL call on FileMaker can never get to the terminal command line to control the OS.  So yet another security plus for FileMaker. 

• 13. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                                  beverly

Well...

the age-old "garbage in, garbage out" still exists. bad data is bad data. it doesn't need to be "injection" (where SQL 'commands' are malicious). If the packages (regardless of database) don't validate what get's put into the database, then they fail.

Another note of caution, if you don't understand what the package is doing, then you take your own risks. These "easy" to setup/use solutions can be fragile and all prone to problems and security issues. So YMMV if you connect FM directly to the site or you import/sync the site with another db & FM. Steps can be taken to prevent the garbage.

beverly

• 14. Re: Sync Data To Wordpress or Other CRM
                                    JackRodges

There is a new plugin to work with FileMaker and WordPress. Unfortunately the developer does not provide a good, working file for demoing the process.

I can't vouch for this plugin other than having read its web page:

http://wordpressfilemaker.com/

1 2 Previous Next