tolson

New Guy - Totally Lost

Discussion created by tolson on Jan 24, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2017 by beverly

I'm from the world of Access and I am having a tough time wrapping my head around FM. What I'm about to describe, I have it working in Access, but my employer wants it in FM instead.

It's basically a self directed testing protocol. The user will have an interface with 5 buttons, each of them going to a specific topic. Each button has 5 questions sorted by "round" (there are 5 rounds) and "category" (5 categories). After the person answers all 6 questions in a category, they are automatically transferred out to the original interface. The user can also answer "x" amount of questions and manually return to the interface.

If all 6 questions in a category have been answered, the button on the original interface disappears. What I would like to do is have a number field [hold] for each category that calculates a perform find (Round =1 Category =1 Used= 0 or 1 [depending on whether the question is still in the rotation]), then have the total for the "Used" field inserted in in another field so the button will hide based on the value of that find (Round 1 Category 1 Used =6 the button is hidden, if used is less than 6 the button remains).

Conditional formatting only works on one button at a time. Ive uploaded pics of the interface and question screens and also the underlying table structure. I'm not asking anyone to do the work - I just need to be steered in the right direction. As I said, I can get this working in Access, but not Filemaker and I know the limitation is my knowledge and understanding of FM.

Attachments

Outcomes