6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 7:43 AM by alc

Basic Keyword Strategy?

alc

I've totally. forgotten how to set up a SIMPLE keywording scheme

• Each record should be able to have multiple keywords  - but I'd need to avoid restricting words,
      • Ideally it would be easy to choose from a list of commonly used words.
      • The most important part  is that I can search on this field (and Ideally choose from a list) -
      • would need to function easily in iOS.
      • Should it matter: I'm using FMA v14

If I use a value list, how would I enable selection of multiple options especially given that the list is likely to become very long.

Sorry, It's been a way too long  since I've needed to use keywords.

Thanks in Advance. alix

• 1. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
          keywords

The easiest way to make multiple selections from a Value List is to set the field up as a Checkbox Set. This presents the user with all values in the list with a checkbox beside each value, and as many as desired can be checked simply by clicking on them. Under the hood, FM is actually compiling a carriage-return-separated list of the values checked. This approach will have two major limitations: (1) if the value list gets beyond a modest number of items (8 or 10, say) it will be come a very large array; and (2) another means will have to be used to allow entry of values other than those on the list.

• 2. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
            philmodjunk

A more powerful approach than a check box formatted field would be to set up a related table of keywords with a join table used to select particular keywords for a particular record in your main table. This does not preclude setting up something that still looks and acts like check boxes for selecting keywords for a given record but which actually creates/deletes records in the join table.

• 3. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
              alc

yes, for a small list that would work - sadly not this situation. Thanks for the reminder - will use in other circumstances.

• 4. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
                alc

Probably the only way to go. But I'm not sure how to set this up...

currently have a Spanish learning DB with prime tables like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y089n2h3gszubjd/SpanDB-BASIC_Rel_LR.png?dl=0

could you please detail this further

Did you mean that I'd have to create a "join between DB and WORDs

i.e.: DB - Keywords - Words (with every keyword a separate record)

or create an entirely separate table creating a new keyword

Thanks in advance.

PS: do you offer training???

thanks in advance, Alix

• 5. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
                  philmodjunk

I have an instructional file that includes several working examples of using a portal as a selection tool:

Adventures in FileMaking #2--enhanced value selection

But this file could use an update to include more on the option I am recommending here. The "check boxes with scroll bar" examples in this file build and modify a return separated list just like a single field formatted with check boxes but now you have a related table of values that can be displayed (and filtered/searched) in a portal.

The "next step" for what you want would be scripts that, instead of adding/deleting from the return separated list, add/delete records from a related join table.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Basic Keyword Strategy?
                    alc

Thanks Phil,

will look into this

alix