8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 6:07 AM by jibardhan

Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons

jibardhan

I want to move FMServer 13 to a AWS (Amazon web Service) site . How does it helps.

Please share its pros and cons

• 1. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
          CarlSchwarz

Not an exhaustive list, but a few thoughts.  Note, I am not sure if you are going to use FileMaker Cloud or your own EC2 instance so I have tried to keep that clear.

Pro

- FileMaker Cloud on AWS runs FMServer 15 which is more optimised, especially for webdirect.

- FileMaker Cloud on AWS has hardware redundancy and good backups to keep everything running.

- If you are going to "FileMaker Cloud" then all the server management is done for you and you don't have to manage software updates, etc.  This is not a pro if you are going to use your own EC2 instance.

Con

- Is your current server off-site or on-site?  Moving a server offsite to AWS will introduce more lag if your current server is on-site.

- FileMaker Cloud doesn't support everything that regular FileMaker server does yet, it will soon but it is still 'first version'.

• 2. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
            nicolai

ibardhan patel

You have to specify if you are moving to FileMaker Cloud or you just want to install your own FileMaker Server  on your EC2 Windows Server instance.

FMCloud is not officially available outside of the US at the moment.

• 3. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
              jibardhan

Thanks Nicolai for the valuable feedback.

Can you please say more on benefits/limitations of using FMCloud usage and installing FMServer on EC2 Windows Server instance , separately .

• 4. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
                jibardhan

Thanks Carl for the valuable feedback. Actually , this is a requirement for one of my friend ,let me get a reply, i shall get back to you.

• 5. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
                  nicolai

CarlSchwarz has already listed some of the benefits of FMCloud : it is managed service, so you do not have to do updates or worry about availability, it is integrated with AWS and is fast when you use it in USA. Amazon additional security and backups are there is a backup system in place by default. It also supports ESS and you can ESS to supported Amazon database services. Another big advantage is that you can scale up or down your server as you need it, adding more memory or storage space. Plus, potential clients love having "Cloud" in the name of a product.

The disadvantage is that you have to pay for FileMaker licences plus Amazon storage and bandwidth fees. FMCloud does not support Custom Web Publishing and it is not available/slow outside of the US at the moment. The backup system is pretty basic and you do not have much control over it.

EC2 FileMaker Server install is a standard FileMaker Server installation. You still need to pay the fees for the instance, storage and bandwidth. You have to manage your instance and do all OS updates and FileMaker updates yourself.

The advantage is that you have a full control over your server, you can add additional services to the instance (e.g FTP or email server), you can have more comprehensive back up strategy and you can use perpetual licence for your server.

As with FMCloud, you can scale up and down your EC2 instance or duplicate it

• 6. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
                    wimdecorte

jibardhan patel wrote:

How does it helps.

What are your current pain points?

• 7. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
                      jibardhan

i just wanted to know the benefits of both.

• 8. Re: Moving FMServer 13 to AWS -Pros and Cons
                        jibardhan

Thanks everybody for taking time and giving a reply