13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 7:16 PM by Malcolm

complex bibliography

HinOey

Hello,

I am researching a lithographer and collect data regarding books mentioning him and pictures of him in books. I have a file/database with 3 tables (the actual database is more complex).

1. List of all relevant books

2. the table 'mentioning books' registers the books mentioned in a particular book (one record for each book mentioned)

3. for the pictures it is less confusing: all the pictures mentioned in a book.

For each of these tables it is no problem getting nice reports. However I want to combine results from all 3 tables in one report.

Attached is relationship for these tables (note that the books table occures twice).

What I like to achieve is:

(NB There are books not mentioning other books or pictures; or only books or only pictures)

Book-1 (from table Books)

- all the other books mentioned (from table 'mentioning books')

- all the pictures mentioned (from table 'mentioning pictures')

Book-2 (from table Books)

- all the pcitures mentioned (from table 'mentioning pictures')

Would appreciate suggestions

• 1. Re: complex bibliography
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you have data in three different tables that should really all be in one field with a field defined to identify the type of bibliographic reference.

But from a layout based on Books, you could use either portals or a calculation field using either List or ExecuteSQL() to list the two different types of entries under each book.

With a calculation field, you can include tab characters and then use formatting in the inspector to set indents and tab stops to get an outline type format.

• 2. Re: complex bibliography
            Malcolm

FileMaker is fantastic but it isn't a sophisticated page layout program. What it can do really well is produce lists.

You can combine two separate lists fairly easily using the Append PDF function.  You could start a report from "Mentioning Books" to obtain the Book info and all the books mentioned, save as PDF. Then produce a report from "Mentioning Pictures" and append it to the PDF.

If you want better page layout you probably want to use something like InDesign.

Malcolm

• 3. Re: complex bibliography
              philmodjunk

I don't think append PDF will work here as each appended PDF starts a new page. If I read the original post correctly, the following text has each row coming from a different table:

Book-1 (from table Books)

- all the pictures mentioned (from table 'mentioning pictures')

• 4. Re: complex bibliography
                Malcolm

Yes, this suggestion only works for one book at a time. To report on multiple books simultaneously you would have to loop over the list handling one book at a time.

Report 1: from Layout based on Books Mentioned

Summary by Book

includes Book Title and general book info

Body

includes all info about book mentioned

This produces a report that is one or more pages, saved as PDF. If there are very few books mentioned there may be some white space on the page.

Report 2. from Layout based on Pictures Mentioned

GTRR to obtain pictures related to book.

Append to PDF.

malcolm

• 5. Re: complex bibliography
                  philmodjunk

And that would make for a very strange Bibliography--with one entry to a page and doesn't deal with the issues described in the original post--pulling data together from three different tables into a list format.

• 6. Re: complex bibliography
                    Malcolm

Ah! I see what you're getting at. I was imagining that the book was a top level entity and the only issue was combining the two lists of references.

It sounds like a job for a virtual list, doesn't it?

• 7. Re: complex bibliography
                      philmodjunk

Actually, I'd look at combining the bibliographic entries in a single table with a "type" field used to discriminate between the two types of entries.

Then a simple summary report based on this unified table can include data from a related table of books in a sub summary part with two groups of bibliographic entries listed below the sub summary heading. You'd sort your records first by Book, then by type, then (if necessary) by any kind of sequencing field set up to control the order in which the entries of a given type are listed for a given book.

Either that or use some large calculation fields that use ExecuteSQL to build the lists of data with Slide up/resize enclosing part use to eliminate white space.

• 8. Re: complex bibliography
                        Malcolm

Yes, that's what I decided too. The attached file could be improved - including the way the relationships are defined - but it shows the idea in action.

• 9. Re: complex bibliography
                          HinOey

Thanks guys,

Understand what Malcolm and Philmod are aiming it. However, have to study it (am not that fluent with FM).

Was thinking myself more in the direction that more could be done with sub-summaries (not sure about the English FM terminology); e.g. like shop adresses sorted by state-city and the city addresses were coming from a different table.

• 10. Re: complex bibliography
                            HinOey

However, not sure if I understand the example from Malcolm (nr 8) correctly. initially looking rather complex.

Malcolm's idea in nr.7 (... combining the bibliographic entries in a single table with a "type" field used to discriminate between the two types of entries.) appeals to me; raher simple.

a. I can combine the two references list (no problem), although they items they are dealing wih are quite different (but that is if you look at the character of the data)

b. I do not even need the extra type field (?) because I can check if the field book_mentioned or Picture_mentioned has content

c. I then only have to take care that each book in the basic book list also occures in the reference_database (there are books with >>NO<< pictures or books mentioned). But I can make a kind of dummy record with no contents in the field to be dispalyed.

d. But then (I have to test) you have two bodies to be processed one for the books_mentioned and one for the pictures_mentioned .....

Or can you have two sub-summaries and an empty body?:

But then; how are you going to sort

- summary: by book

-- sub-summary1 --> by book_mentioned

-- sub-summary2 --> by pictures_mentioned

--- body --> which will be empty

• 11. Re: complex bibliography
                              philmodjunk

With that approach, you'll need a dummy record. It's not your only option.

• 12. Re: complex bibliography
                                Malcolm

That example file wasn't very good. This one is a little better. It reduces the number of table occurrences and it makes reporting much simpler.

Malcolm

• 13. Re: complex bibliography
                                  Malcolm

HinOey wrote:

c. I then only have to take care that each book in the basic book list also occures in the reference_database (there are books with >>NO<< pictures or books mentioned). But I can make a kind of dummy record with no contents in the field to be dispalyed.

As the relationship between a Reference and a Book is always one to one, you could achieve this by working in the Reference table rather than the Book table. Look at the new file that I posted. If you switch to the Reference layout you can create a reference and use the pop-up menu to link to a book. If the book doesn't already exist, you can click the plus sign to add it. Working from this context means that you generate the reference record first, so it won't be forgotten.

Malcolm