8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2017 10:56 AM by philmodjunk

Records copy

gowa

I want to copy a record from one layer to another layer. Possible?I want to copy a record from one layer and move it to another layer. Possible?

• 1. Re: Records copy
          siplus

???

• 2. Re: Records copy
            philmodjunk

What is a "layer"?

Why do you need to copy it? (The best way to copy a record--which produces redundant data, is not to copy it in the first place unless you truly need to.)

If by "layer" you mean "layout", each layout is based on a specific table via reference to a Table Occurrence--a box in your relationship graph. You'd need to describe those layouts and if not based on the same Table Occurrence, how their table occurrences are related to each other.

• 3. Re: Records copy
              gowa

Sorry, I meant layout. Working in Photoshop got me confused.

We have a number of layouts for different customers.

I was hoping to copy a record from one customer layout and paste it to another customer layout.

This is just to save time on typing etc.

• 4. Re: Records copy
                philmodjunk

Why do you have different layouts for different customers?

In general, that's a less than optimum design approach as you have modify your design every time you add another customer.

And to repeat from my first post:

...each layout is based on a specific table via reference to a Table Occurrence--a box in your relationship graph. You'd need to describe those layouts and if not based on the same Table Occurrence, how their table occurrences are related to each other.

• 5. Re: Records copy
                  gowa

Thank you for your input.

• 6. Re: Records copy
                    Malcolm

In layout mode, you can copy fields from one layout to another layout. You can then use different layouts to display the same customer records in very different ways.

Malcolm

• 7. Re: Records copy
                      siplus

You can duplicate a layout and delete elements you don't want / add new ones.

But that still does not fit your "copy a record from one layout and paste it to another layout".

Layouts are templates used to look at records.

Records are entities having the same structure but different content.

• 8. Re: Records copy
                        philmodjunk

And such a process of duplicating layouts is using layouts where you should be using records to store information. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but in general, such a "layout for every customer" is a really bad idea as it tremendously complicates the design, maintenance and function of your solution.

Use one layout for all customers if at all possible and pull customer specific data from a record in a table of customers.

(Horror story: I was once hired as an outside consultant to look over a solution created in house where the in house developer actually created a new layout for each user using the system.....)