AnsweredAssumed Answered

Alternative to Join.me

Question asked by AllegroDataSolutions on Jan 26, 2017
Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 by jfletch

I'm looking for a (preferably) free alternative to join.me (which absolutely has to be free for the other party). It will be used exclusively to temporarily share my desktop with my clients when I am working on new versions of their solutions. Typically, I will be sharing with only one other computer. (I think once, in the past, we brought another person in another office into the discussion). And, oh yes, it needs to work on Macs as well as pcs.

I like the fact that join.me is simple to set up and use. I also like the fact that my clients don't have to install anything. Join.me lets me e-mail them a URL that they can simply click on and see my desktop. On occasion, I have shared control of my pointing device with clients, so they could show me how they were using a feature and I could troubleshoot a problem they were having.

If that sounds like a ringing endorsement for join.me, I guess it sort of is, but only up to a point. It frequently fails because it is "unable to update" (whatever that means), whereupon it deletes the join.me icon from my desktop, but keeps the program installed and will not run it. I have to uninstall it, and reinstall it -- both of which are a pain. It normally takes several installs to get everything working again. And, when it is installed, it loads at Windows startup and takes up resources, whether it is being used or not. Life is too short for this kind of nonsense.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Outcomes