13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2017 12:26 AM by kladda

Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.

kladda

Hi! I'm kind of a noob on FM but i've managed to get by and create some, for me, useful solutions

Now however, i'm stuck. we're planning a wedding for a friend and we would like to use the starter solution Event Management. It fills almost all our need's except one: We would like to add a kind of notebook.

When i add a menu button i can't make that button to show a layout. There is a script handling the switching between layouts and i can't find out how to add my notebook to it.

I can't paste the script here because it's in swedish on my computer, but it has to do with Get (Scriptparameter) Have a look in FM on your language I't might be called something like "Slidepanelnavigation"
      When i debug the script i see that every button gives a parameter back to the script and it "navigates". Somehow it don't seem to be to different layouts, more show/hide elements.

I'm i way off?

The notebook it self will be basic, and i think i can figure that one out. Titel, author, date created, date edited and text.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
          jbrown

Hello.

In that solution, the buttons on the right are going to a new panel. (You're in FM 14 or 15, right?)

There is a panel object under the button bar. Each of the buttons goes to one of those named panels. This is an object that allows you to stay on the same layout but show different fields; it is useful for grouping fields together and show only a few of them at a time.

In layout mode, click on the panel under the buttons. Don't click on a portal or a field or a label; just the blank space below a button (the Agenda Button).

In the inspector you can see the panel has a name ( in the position tab of the inspector).

Double click on that panel and add a new panel. Hit the + key in that set up.

Than name that new panel in the inspector–give it the same name as the parameter your new "Notebook" button will be.

Then add the button to the button bar, attach it to the navigation script and set the parameter to be the name of the new panel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
            philmodjunk

Please note that a "layout" and a "slide control panel" are two very different things.

• 3. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
              jbrown

Maybe I need to be clear.

The Event Management Solution does not go to another layout to display the tasks and coordinators and such; it uses a slide control panel on the same layout to display the different fields.

• 4. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                kladda

Thank you for this! It took me so far!

In the end you say "and set the parameter to be the name of..."

In the script included in the solution it looks like it fetches the name of the panel from the name of the button?

Edit: Thank you both for learning me the difference between layout and panel object

• 5. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                  jbrown

You can set the parameter in the script-setup dialog. Down below where you select the script is the "Optional Parameter" box.

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 8.06.49 AM.png

This button has the Optional script parameter of "Tasks". There is a panel named "tasks" and so the button goes to the object named "tasks".

• 6. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                    kladda

Beyond fantastic! Thank you so much!

• 7. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                      jbrown

And by the way, you see in the script, it is setting a global variable (a variable with $$ at the beginning) to Get(ScriptParameter" & " Button". This will allow the correct button to be set to its active state.

You can do this with your new button by naming it "Notebook Button" (or whatever your panel name is). When this script runs, your new button will be active.

• 8. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                        kladda

hmm now somehow i managed to mess something up.

When i open the file (in FM or via web) there is no content and no slide is showing. When pressing buttons no slide is showing.

When i go back to the Event list and then click the event from there, everything loads perfectly

I can see there is a startup scrips with the same "Get parameter" stuff... perhaps something to do with that?

The script i'm thinking of is called "Trigger | Open with layout" or something like that (translated it) and is located in the script folder "Script trigger"

• 9. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                          jbrown

WHen you click on an event from the Events list, it goes to the Events Details layout.

On this layout there is a script trigger ( Layouts Menu → Layout Setup → Script Triggers) that runs the Layout On Enter script. This contains the "Contributors Button" parameter.

What this is doing is making sure that you always return to the Contributors slide when you come to this layout during the same session.

I'm not sure why you're not seeing any slide or the buttons don't work. Are you on the "Event Details" layout?

Oh I know: since there's one layout per device, you are going to different "Events Details" layouts on each device. You'll have to add this button and panel and name for each of those layouts. That's the tricky part about developing for multiple devices. I recommend developing for the PC/Mac and one other and get rid of the other layouts.

• 10. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                            kladda

Never mind, think i found it

Thanks for all your help Jeremy!

• 11. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                              kladda

Hi again Jeremy.

I was wondering if i perhaps could ask you another question regarding the same Event solution?

It has to do with when i change from my new page in the slide in the panel slide control i get the portal from my new slide on top of all the other slides.

I found under the "Hide object when" in the inspector that all other portal use some code.

I will try to translate it:

IsEmpty ( Anslagstavlan 2::MATCHANDE FÄLT FÖR EVENEMANGS_ID ) and Get ( ActiveFieldTableName ) ≠ "Anslagstavlan 2"

When i copy the code from the Guest slide and just change the table to my new notebook-table, the portal wont show up at all.

What does that code do?

Would you need my file to help me further you think?

I understand if it get's harder and harder to give tips when not seeing the file

• 12. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                                jbrown

I think i can picture what's going on.

1. any object in a slide control must be completely within the bounds of the panel. Otherwise, the behavior you describe will happen: it is just an object on top of the slide panel.

To test to make sure, simply pick up the slide panel object and move it around a bit. If the portal doesn't move, then it is not completely contained in the panel.

Let me know if that helps.

2. The Hide/show condition is hiding the portal for, say "Contributors", when there's no related records in that table. It's user experience is that you don't see a big list of nothing.

To change the hide condition for you simply update the calc in the hide condition to your Notebook table's primary ID field and the last part is the name of the related Table.

I hope that helps as well.

• 13. Re: Need help with Starter Solutions - Event Man.
                                  kladda

Fantastic, thank you!!

It was indeed that the portal was to big

Your help have saved me hours and hours of work and googling!

Big thank you!