sivagurS

hi

I have a Layout with a Dropdownlist called Status

with values  as follows

Held

Done

Closed

Open

Only when the user chooses Closed, I need to display another DropdownList called FailureCode with a different valuelist .

For any other values chosen, no dropdown needs to be shown.

I know how to show and hide layout objects conditionally.

I would like to know if there is any way where we could realign the objects beneath this second DropDown FailureCode when values other than Closed are chosen

Thanks and Regards,

Seetha

• 1. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
          CarlSchwarz

sivagurS wrote:

I would like to know if there is any way where we could realign the objects beneath this second DropDown

There is no way to move objects on the layout in form view.  In list view you can make sub summaries show and hide depending on the sort order.

Your only option is probably to make another similar layout or conditionally hide and show the same set of objects but in new locations.

These options are not very good but will work if you need to have the appearance of objects changing location on the layout.

• 2. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
            philmodjunk

Can you post a screen shot of your layout?

Maybe we can suggest a way to work with what you have here.

• 3. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
              keywords

You may be able to trick this by placing two versions of the field on the layout with different mutually exclusive Hide conditions.

• 4. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
                sivagurS

Failurecode_image1.pngFailurecode_image2.png

If you see, when the WOstatus is Closed, Failure Code Dropdown needs to be shown,

while WOStatus is anything else, it needs to be hidden, but also all the objects below Failue Code Dropdown list needs to move up. I have managed to conditionally show/hide the the Failurecode, but am not able to dynamically realign the objects below it.

Can this be done in filemaker

thanks

• 5. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
                  keywords

I don't think you can make objects slide up in that way. However, you may be able to give the impression of that as follows:

1.     Create two single-panel Slide Controls

2.     On one panel include the failure code field and the two below it; set this panel to hide when the failure code field should hide (instead of hiding the field itself)

3.     On the other panel include just the two fields below, but moved up into the space above; these will be duplicate instances of these two fields; set this panel to hide when the other is visible

4.     Align the two panels directly over each other

The effect will be that when the failure code field is needed the panel on which it is placed will be visible, otherwise the second panel will be visible and the fields will appear to move up to fill the space otherwise occupied by the missing field.

• 6. Re: Hide and realign layout objects
                    user19752

Add a little variation, you can change color with disabling input of the field, instead of hiding it. Then you don't need realign.