8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 7:57 AM by philmodjunk

Relation create new record

TobyGross

Hi please find the attachment, what is it that I am doing wrong when i am in the layproduct layout which is from table product, i have two portal tables, why is it that when i create a new record in the loads portal it also creates one in the Join_Products_Importers portal?

Thanks for you reply

• 1. Re: Relation create new record
          philmodjunk

That happens because the join table is between products and Loads. Creating a new related record in Loads must also create a record in the join table to link the current product record on your layout to the new load record that you have just created.

• 2. Re: Relation create new record
            TobyGross

So how could I setup so that the loads do not create a new record to only reason i have that there so i can minus the total loads from a field in that products table...

• 3. Re: Relation create new record
              philmodjunk

I can barely read that two monitor wide screen shot. Posting two screenshots would make them easier to read.

What you need are different relationships, but you'd need to describe how you want the links between Products, Loads and the join table to work before I can suggest a different approach.

Think in these terms: How should one record in products link to a "load" record? What does one record in Loads represent? Does one "Load record" represent more than one record in "products"?

• 4. Re: Relation create new record
                TobyGross

Many loads records in product mean something in products and that important, so what i am trying to do is

many importers bring in bags from product

many loads go out in bags to field

so in this table i would be doing the math of inventory

I have it working so far but when i create a new loads it also creates a new importer

• 5. Re: Relation create new record
                  philmodjunk

Sorry, but your answer is unclear and does not seem to answer my questions.

Does a single product record need to link to more than one load record? Does a single load record need to link to more than one product record? What does a record in your join table represent?

And you do not have an importer table in your description of the issue so what does any of this have to do with importers?

• 6. Re: Relation create new record
                    TobyGross

So I think I figured it out I went ahead a removed the join portal and added another load table portal so now the two load portals don't have anything in common but still do have a relationship via the join table...

sorry for the confusion

thanks,

• 7. Re: Relation create new record
                      TobyGross

I have a problem when i create a new record in my portal and select a records from a drop down list which my portal shows from a related table no matter what record i choose it always selects a certain one

• 8. Re: Relation create new record
                        philmodjunk

As I have previously requested, please describe what you have and what you need to do in much more detail. Otherwise it's impossible to make reasonable suggestions on how to solve these issues.