6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 4:35 AM by PeterWindle

FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)

PeterWindle

I recently had an issue where certain layout parts where not rendering properly on Windows 10 with laptops that had a high resolution setting.

I understand that this is a "known issue" and the computer's resolution settings where adjusted to work around the issue.

HOWEVER, I have also seen similar behaviour in Preview mode. I have tried the usual FM code fixes, screen refreshes and zoom level etc... but the issue is still visible.

Any suggestions/solutions? This applies to FM 14. Not sure what the situation is with 15.

Also, I noticed on the most recent FM 15 update seems to help with the "garbled font" issue on Windows 7, but alas, I have not yet seen the same fix for FM 14...?

Does anyone know if there are fixes and/or workarounds?

Please, don't say upgrade to 15, because the solution is hosted on 14 (via internet) and the host will not allow 15 to connect to 14 hosted files.

• 1. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
          philmodjunk

but alas, I have not yet seen the same fix for FM 14...?

It is very, very rare for FileMaker inc. to release bug fixes for any but the most recent version.

• 2. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
            PeterWindle

It would be good to have some sort of official response from FileMaker, I suppose I better email support...

• 3. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
              Tigeen

Hello Peter,

Any screen-shots of the problem you face ?

Any references of the "known issue" ?

FM14 and FM15 have issues with Windows 10 Zoom level @+100% (which is typically used on very big screen resolutions).

The cursor in the fields are not positions properly when typing...

Seems some old portions of FM code is coded "pixel" in place of "point"... they may explain why FileMaker is not correcting it...

• 4. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
                PeterWindle

Thanks Francis..

I am grabbing screen shots soon, until then, here is an extract from the 15 v.02 update release notes:

"

• Windows: Addressed an issue where layouts were not drawn correctly on a high-resolution display.

"

not sure if this patch fixes the cursor positioning issue, but I also know about that one.

My client had screen re-draw issues with 14 relating to the same "windows zoom level", changing the zoom level setting works around this issue.

I though that the 15.v02 updater also had a fix for the "garbled" font issue, but I could be wrong...?

this is what I am taking about in relation to fonts:

Problem with Fonts in Filemaker 14

I have followed the procedure documented by FM on how to "fix" this, it seems to work the majority of times.. not really a fix within filemaker either.

• 5. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
                  golife

Well, the cursor is not correctly positioned in any text field on any computer Windows 10, FMP14/FMPA 14, within my reach,  even using standard resolution and no 4K screens.

The longer the text, the more visible it becomes. In short text fields it is less annoying. It is a kind of blind flight guessing which letter and part of text is actually selected.

Changing to anything above or below 100% has never resulted in anything better. It is usually worse.

(Hope is always for future releases ... maybe within our life time.)

(Version 15 seems to be like an update to fix some bugs - more or less - but I would not have released it to the market as a new version. )

I did not test this in 15, waiting for 16. So, maybe it is already fixed?

• 6. Re: FM 14 Windows 10 and high resolutions (bug)
                    PeterWindle

My gripe is this:

I presume FileMaker claims that 14 is supported under Windows 10, if so, when a bug fix is release for 15, which should be fixed in both 14 and 15, then why is it only released as a fix for 14?

Consumers are getting annoyed at me, because there is nothing I can do about it, but wait and hope...