AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to pull in data from a PHP API

Question asked by doubledex on Jan 31, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 by wimdecorte

Hello -

I'm brand new to Filemaker and new to a lot of the technology I'm currently reading on ODBC, php, cURL, etc.  I have a programming degree but have not used it extensively in the last decade and before that it was mostly for python scripting, C++ for standalone command-line tools.  However, I am good at getting things working if I get a bone to chew on.  What I'm asking for here is some starter help on my "hardest problem" in setting up my Filemaker solution, and that's getting my data in.

I've done the basic Filemaker tutorials and I'm comfortable knowing I will be capable of getting the results I need, but the hard part is pulling in the data I want from the sources I have.  In our business we have ordering data on external sites (Amazon, eBay, PayPal, etc) that I need to pull in to Filemaker.  One of the shipping services we use pulls most of this data in and it's available via a PHP API.  Here's a link to that service's PHP API:

Getting Started · ShippingEasy

I can tell that it's possible for me to turn this in to an object I can access and use, but I really don't know where to start to get that working.  If one of you lovely people could give me an outline of the steps needed to set up something like this, I would greatly appreciate it.  There are so many possibilities with Filemaker that it feels a bit overwhelming to narrow down exactly what the right thing to do is.  A general strategy is what I am looking for, but I would be happy to get a detailed example too.

If I can get this data in to my solution, I will be way ahead in getting this system up an running for us.

Thank you in advance!

John

Outcomes