1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 7:47 AM by TSGal

Save as PDF creates damaged PDF files (Windows 10, 64-bit)

Petra

Product and version: FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.02 and 15.03 (32-bit)

OS and version: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

It seems there’s still a problem with PDF files, created by the „save as PDF“ command. I can reproduce the issue on two machines, both with Windows 10, 64 bit and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed; one of them is a virtual machine using Parallels desktop v12.

When I created a PDF using “save as PDF” I end up with a damaged PDF file. The error message of Acrobat Reader is “The root object is missing or invalid”. If I try to open the file on a Mac, Preview just tells me, the fle is damaged.

On a machine with Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, I can’t reproduce the issue. Workaround on a Windows 10 64-bit system is using Acrobat Reader 11. I didn’t get any damaged PDF files with that configuration when creating the PDF with the same solution printing the same records using the same layout.

• 1. Re: Save as PDF creates damaged PDF files (Windows 10, 64-bit)
          TSGal

Petra:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am unable to replicate the issue using Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit).  I launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2, created a database file with a couple of Text fields, entered some data, and chose Save as PDF.  The PDF was created, and I could open it under Microsoft Edge.

I then installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and opened the PDF.

Back in FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2, I saved as PDF again, and then opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

I updated to FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.3, opened the same file, saved to PDF, and the PDF opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Since your workaround involved installing Acrobat Reader 11, try removing Acrobat Reader DC, and then reinstalling it again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.