8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 8:53 AM by carrieteter1

Printer script problems...anyone else?

carrieteter1

Our printer scripts we have used for 15 years to print multiple forms with no need to show print dialogue box (3 to 7 pages each with settings such as portrait simplex, landscape duplex, envelope or label, etc) from multiple layouts no longer working since updating to FM14 and Windows 10. Anyone else have this problem?

The print setup in my script will not remember orientation selections for each layout - it reverts back to last used... So now we are having to show the print dialogue box for each step of the script and manually select the print settings. Did something happen with the update from FM12 to

FM14 that I now HAVE to use a print plug in to have this ability?

• 1. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
          mikebeargie
          since updating to FM14 and Windows 10

Nothing really has changed with the print script step or print setup script step in a long time. Bonjour has also been the same for printing operations since v12.

If you did move to windows 10, then chances are it's driver settings somewhere vs. what you had on the old machines.

Plugins offer a more "reliable" way to perform explicit operations with the world outside of filemaker. Filemaker sends more "vanilla" commands to the OS to have more broad compatibility. This is why things like Email, Printing and even a lot of API integrations are better done through plugins.

• 2. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
            carrieteter1

Thank you for the response! Is one plugin better than another in regards to our daily needs of printing multiple forms from multiple layouts with multiple orientation settings? myfmbutler vs others?

• 3. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
              mikebeargie

I’ve always been a fan of 2empowerFM plugins for this:

http://www.2empowerfm.com/products/2empowerFM/family/print.php

There are also products by:

-monkeybread software, It does a lot more than just the printing stuff, so might be overkill for your use case

-Productive Computing, good if you’ve ever used any of their other products, they have good demo files.

-myfmbutler – never used it, just know it’s out there.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
                philmodjunk

I have sometimes been able to resolve this issue, print setup options not working for a specific layout, by using the advanced recover options to recover a file:

Select

Copy blocks "as is"

Delete Cached Settings

Then open and test the recovered copy and see if the problem has been corrected. If it works, you can replace your current copy with the recovered one. (Copy blocks as is, is an option, that IMO, makes this OK to do even though we normally tell people not to use recovered copies of a file.)

• 5. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
                  carrieteter1

Okay I have the 2empowerFM Hands-Free Printer plugin installed... May be a dumb question, but now how do I use it?

• 6. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
                    mikebeargie

To use any plugin, you usually have to do something that activates the calculation engine. Plugins enable “external” functions that take parameters and execute their actions using the plugin.

For example:

Set Variable ( $startplugin ; pluginFunction ( parameters ) )

There should be a demo or documentation in the downloaded files you received with the plugin showing this. Look at the scripts menu for examples in any demo files.

Also, if you have pro advanced, you can just open up the data viewer, and play around with the calculation engine there. In the top right of the calculation engine is a drop down menu where you can filter to only external functions.

• 7. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
                      carrieteter1

Thank you again for the response! Yes, I found the manual! Thank you!

However, I do need to be able to print simplex (one sided) and duplex (two sided) documents and if I am reading the manual correctly, duplex (two sided) is only supported by Mac... Has anyone found this to be the case?

• 8. Re: Printer script problems...anyone else?
                        carrieteter1

Hi Mike - you wrote:

"If you did move to windows 10, then chances are it's driver settings somewhere vs. what you had on the old machines."

Are there any helpful driver settings listed somewhere that work well with HP printers FM14 and Windows 10 for me to try to get our old printing scripts to function again? I've read a lot of posts on here regarding this problem and just wonder if a solution has been discovered yet??