pvoc3000

Help with a Double Sided, Multi-Page Report

Discussion created by pvoc3000 on Feb 2, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2017 by pvoc3000

Hello filemakers!

I'm stuck. I've scoured the internet for help but I've so far have come up empty handed. I'm hoping that the good people of the FileMaker community can offer some much needed guidance.

I am trying to create a 7 page report, one page for each day of the week, and I want each day to print on it's own separate piece of paper. Some days will  have enough data to span both the front and back of the page, while others will only have enough data for the front.

The problem I am having is, because the amount of data is variable and each day can end up being one or two pages, I can't get each day to start on its own page. For instance, currently Saturday and Sunday both only have enough data for a single page, and because of this Sunday prints on the back of the Saturday page. I don't know how to programmatically test to see if I need a page break, and then add a one if I do.

The other problem is that sections that start on the front and go to the back are missing any kind of header information. Each section has unique field names, so placing this information in the header doesn't work for me. I need a way to reprint the section at the start of the second page, or prevent a section to span multiple pages. My current workaround is to place a copy of the field names in the header as well. I grouped them, named the group, and then have it auto hide on odd pages. This works fine, until I get to the end of the document where Saturday and Sunday are on two sides of the same page, resulting in double headers on Sunday.

The break fields I'm using for sorting are: DAY, TYPE, and ITEM.

The layout parts I have set up are:

1. Header
  2. Sub-summary when sorted by TYPE (leading)
  3. Body
  4. Sub-summary when sorted by  TYPE (trailing)
  5. Sub-summary when sorted by DAY (trailing) with a page break after each 1 occurrence.
  6. Footer.

My report and tables are  a lot more complicated than this, but I thought it best to keep it simple for this discussion.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Mark

Outcomes