4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 10:50 PM by nick@transmedia.co.uk

MySQL connection - works in 11 but not in 15

nick@transmedia.co.uk

Hi

I am running a Windows Server 2008 machine and have made an ODBC connection to a remote MySQL database using the MySQL Unicode Driver 5.2. I get a "successful" message when testing in ODBC Administrator and I can also use it to successfully create an External MySQL Data Source in an FM 11 database. But when I try to create a similar data source within a FileMaker 15 database, the DSN does even not show up.

What is the magic difference between 11 and 15 for ODBC connection purposes?

I would be extremely grateful for any help!

Thanks.

Nick

• 1. Re: MySQL connection - works in 11 but not in 15
          mikebeargie

FMS11 I believe was not 64bit, FMS15 I believe is only 64bit.

This means you need to use the 64bit ODBC manager to make a DSN, whereas you are probably using the 32 bit manager for 11.

I believe you need to look for:

C:/Windows/SysWow64/odbcadmin32.exe

or something similar to that. the 32bit one is in:

C:/Windows/System32/

It's confusing since the .exe file is named the same thing in the same folder.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: MySQL connection - works in 11 but not in 15
            nick@transmedia.co.uk

Mike, thanks very much. I will check this.

Much appreciated.

My regards,

Nick

• 3. Re: MySQL connection - works in 11 but not in 15
              user19752

This is inverted. system32 has 64bit programs, syswow64 has 32bit. wow64 means windows(32 running) on window64

• 4. Re: MySQL connection - works in 11 but not in 15
                nick@transmedia.co.uk

Right, so to clarify for my simple mind…

On a computer running a 64 bit version of Windows e.g. Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008, choose which version of the ODBC Administrator as follows:

1. If running FileMaker 11 (a 32 bit application), look in in the folder SysWOW64 for the application odbcad32.exe (c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe)

2. If running FileMaker 15 (a 64 bit application), look in in the folder System32 for the application odbcad32.exe (c:\Windows\ System32\odbcad32.exe)

The slightly confusing thing is that the application itself is always called odbcad32.exe. How come it’s always called odbcad32.exe?

This is all assuming you have installed the right ODBC driver for FileMaker in the first place. In terms of the driver to use, the FIleMaker website recommends MySQL ODBC 5.2 Unicode Driver version 5.2.7, (32-bit and 64-bit). Presumably you install the 32 bit version if you’re using FileMaker 15 and the 64 bit version if you’re using FileMaker 15.  Again confusingly, I’m sure I used to use the  version 3.51 in th past. Is this superseded?

Now I’ve started, I would dearly love to crack this once and for all.

All help gratefully received.

My regards,

Nick