4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2017 4:16 PM by peregrina

Problems with forms in Windows

peregrina

Hello,

I am not a developer, but I use FileMaker to perform various tasks for my job. The problem is, I have a Windows computer while everyone else in my organization uses Macs.

Mostly, this has worked for me; however there have always been some forms that don't work--either I can't input anything into a field, or I can enter values but they won't save. This hasn't been a huge problem because I don't really need to use those forms.

However, after a recent server update, two forms that I really need to use have stopped working for me, though they work fine for everyone else. In one case, I can change the values in a drop-down box but not save them. In another, there's an embedded calendar that I have to choose a date on, but it isn't showing up at all for me. I have Windows 7, and I've heard that the forms work in Windows 10. So I'm not sure if the problem is my operating system, or if some setting has changed on my computer. Or maybe there's something that could easily be done on the back end to make this work?

I was told that the previous problems came about because FileMaker uses my system's default browser--Windows Explorer--which isn't very good. But when I search for other Windows users having similar problems, nothing comes up. (People seem to have problems with form elements showing up in different places in Windows vs Mac, but not problems saving or seeing them.)

I'm sorry I can't provide more detailed information, but I'm going to have to get a new computer if I can't figure this out, and I'd rather not do do that right now. I'm sorry I can't provide more information on the technical end. But does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Anna-Marie

• 1. Re: Problems with forms in Windows
          philmodjunk

Browser issues will only affect the behavior of your solution if you are using either a Web Browser or interactive container field (Say to view a multiple page PDF).

Windows 7 should work just find. It's what we have set up on all our office clients. And a file created in Windows generally works just find on a mac and vice versa. There are only a few issues that crop up due to differences in operatingsystems

You'll need to describe the design of these "forms" that are causing trouble in order for anyone to have a chance at helping you. If you cannot describe the design of them then you'll need to find a developer in your area to take a look at the design.

• 2. Re: Problems with forms in Windows
            beverly

Perhaps it is a font size issue and you have something that cannot be seen once entered. If you click back in the field, do you then see something?

Sent from miPhone

• 3. Re: Problems with forms in Windows
              user19752

Do you use WebDirect, or your "form" is made with web viewer ?

• 4. Re: Problems with forms in Windows
                peregrina

Thank you all for your replies! I will try to get more technical information.

I'm definitely not using a web browser directly, and I'm not using WebDirect. It's the pop-up windows that seem to be the problem, not the "main" forms--they're different than the others, but I don't know why. I will try to find out.

Thanks again,

Anna-Marie