6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 7:04 AM by TSGal

FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop

sq

My files are using layout triggers, layout triggers pulls variables from the layout.  All scripts are passed parameters.

I follow Matt's filemakerstandards.org methods.  I use the same scripts and custom functions in 20 different solutions.

Navigation is using a popover button with a portal with a list of buttons.  Clicking a button to go to another layout will sometimes crash.

Sometimes crashing it will be 20% of the time clicking the button, sometimes 100% it will crash clicking the button.

Something in the layout trigger script that does many things went entering a layout.  I have spent a lot of time trying to disable certain functions in the script to test which might cause the issue.

Not an OS issue because FM crashed on 10.9.x, 10.10.x, 10.11.x

Here are some of the crash logs.

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

1   com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104ebf4a3 -[FMBaseTopLevelView onChangeInHostFrameOrBackingSize:] + 174

2   com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104dedae4 -[FMTopLevelView ourFrameDidChange:] + 177

12  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104deda1b -[FMTopLevelView setFrame:] + 74

13  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104ca3edd DocWinControllerMac::ReconfigureWindowViews() + 1053

14  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104ca1bba DocWindowController::WindowViewChangeNotification(bool) + 22

15  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104b0eaae FMDocWindow::ResizeControlsToWindow() + 36

16  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104ca36f2 DocWinControllerMac::OnContentViewFrameDidChange() const + 22

29  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104ca9d2d WinControllerMac::SetWindowBounds(Draco::XRect const&, bool) + 733

30  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104b1180d FMDocWindow::MoveResizeWindow(Draco::XRect const&) + 31

31  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104be6e9c ScriptRuntime::DoMoveResizeWindow() + 548

32  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104be3e86 ScriptRuntime::DispatchStep(bool&) + 3604

33  com.filemaker.fmengine.framework 0x00000001075da25b Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::Execute() + 733

34  com.filemaker.fmengine.framework 0x00000001075d9ee9 Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::DoNextStep() + 313

35  com.filemaker.fmengine.framework 0x00000001075d9d49 Draco::ScriptRuntimeBase::DoRunLoop() + 203

36  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104be0d20 ScriptRuntime::OnIdle() + 72

37  com.filemaker.fmengine.framework 0x00000001075c7437 Draco::FMSession::OnIdle(bool) + 69

38  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104a8d9e9 CFMProApp::Idle(bool) + 95

39  com.filemaker.client.advanced12 0x0000000104a8ec58 CFMProApp::DispatchNullEvent() + 180

So that seemed to point to this step:

Move/Resize Window [ Current Window ; Height: $H ; Width: $W ; Top: $T ; Left: $L ]

Disabling Move/Resize Window seemed to fix the issue.  Why is Move/Resize Window in a layout trigger under certain circumstances crashing?

Why is filemaker even crashing on a Script Step?  Can you make better crash logs so there is less guessing what caused a crash?

Filemaker can you code better so files don't crash like back in FM 12 and before?

I need to be able to use Move/Resize Window without FM crashing.  Filemaker can you please finally fix this issue?

• 1. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
          RickWhitelaw

I've had the same problem recently with fmp15. It had been years since FMPA crashed on me but now it happens often. Mac desktop El Capitan.

• 2. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
            TSGal

sq:

Thank you for your post.

The crash logs are from Apple; not FileMaker.  The crash log does show what area of the application was involved.

Have you verified the four variables have valid values?

Do you have a secondary monitor attached?

Do you have any custom menus enabled for that layout?

Have you replaced button or popover?

Try placing a Pause/Resume 0.25 seconds script step just prior to the Move/Resize Window script step.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
              sq

Height & Width always have a number.

Top & Left only have a number value if a new window is created.

Yes, a second monitor is attached.  Why is this important?

No custom menus for that layout.

Yes I have replaced the popover button.

Testing the pause/resume right now.

• 4. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
                TSGal

sq:

Thank you for the additional information.

Secondary monitors provide different values for screen information.  If you move a FileMaker window between monitors and use Get (WindowTop) and/or Get(WindowLeft), you will see different values.  Depending on the position of the secondary monitor, you could see negative values.

Send in a clone of the database file so I can determine why the layout is crashing.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
                  sq

The pause .25 sec before the move/resize has stopped the crashing.

So that is a good workaround! thank you!

Since you suggested the pause, does that mean dev team knows the issue and has a fix for the next version?

FM windows are on the main primary monitor.  I use the secondary monitor for other programs usually.

Occasionally I put data viewer or script workspace on secondary monitor.

• 6. Re: FM 14 & FM 15 adv constant crashing mac desktop
                    TSGal

sq:

There have been a few timing issues reported, so that is why I suggested the 0.25 seconds pause.  You may also want to try and reduce the timing to 0 (zero) second pause.  The time it takes to look at the script step itself may be enough to allow FileMaker Go to adjust.

Development and Testing would like to get a copy of your solution to make sure this type of crash gets addressed in a future release so you don't have to rely on the pause.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.