5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2017 3:26 PM by keywords

Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?

hasenmaus

The drop-down list of views in the status-bar is "frozen" on a single view of a Layout. I cannot select any other view from the drop-down other than the one currently on-screen. I have not been able to find a menu or method to unfreeze the status bar view selection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?
          rgordon

Have you tried a restart of the computer.  Occasionally when FileMaker Pro acts goofy on my computer a restart solves the problem.  The problems using occur when I haven't restarted my laptop in a while and too many programs are open.

• 2. Re: Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?
            hasenmaus

I was able to resolve the issue by going into the Layout Setup dialog for each view and enable the check-box Include in layout menus. The allowed me to switch between views "as expected" from the status bar menu. I don't have a clue as to what caused all of the Include in layout menus check-boxes to become disabled in the first place.

Thanks for you help. I didn't get a chance to try-out the re-start of the Mac to see if that also resolved the issue.

• 3. Re: Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?
              rgordon

A don’t think a restart would not have fixed this issue since the checkboxes were unchecked.  Did this previously work and then all of a sudden not work?

Roy Gordon

Practical Solutions for Educators

www.psfe.com

Great Apps for Educators

• 4. Re: Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?
                hasenmaus

Yes, the drop-down worked perfectly up until this morning when it decided to lock-up in one particular view.

• 5. Re: Why does the drop down view list stick to only layout view?
                  keywords

Just to clarify for future reference. I found it hard at first to grasp what you were actually asking about because of a confusion of terms: "drop-down list of views in the status-bar" Note:

1.     The dropdown list you refer to in the status area, is actually a list of available LAYOUTS. As you have found, these can be included in or omitted from this list with a visibility setting.

2.     VIEWS in FM refers to the different ways available to view any given layout—Form View (one record at a time); List View (all records in the current found set visible, or at least scrollable); Table View (a spreadsheet-like utility view).

As to how your layouts got switched off, this could very easily happen to the unwary, by having multiple layout selected in the Manage Layouts dialog window where unchecking any one of the selected layouts will uncheck them all with one click—

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 10.22.41 AM.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful