8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 1:11 PM by philmodjunk

haider2016

Hi there,

How to make a log in windows in filemaker that asks for user name and password before starting.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: log in windows
          philmodjunk

Go to manage security and set up some accounts and passwords. Go to file options and disable the option that auto-enters an account name if you gave that name a password.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: log in windows
            haider2016

Dear phil,

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: log in windows
              haider2016

Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for your valuable reply.

Depending on account name, I want to let and prevent some accounts to access to the some parts of the file. Filemaker software has only tow options for accounts, full access and read only. How about to let some accounts not to reach all parts but some of it? Can I reach to an account name so I can write a script to discover whether this account is allowed to make some changes or not?

Thanks in advance

• 4. Re: log in windows
                haider2016

Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for your valuable reply.

Depending on account name, I want to let and prevent some accounts to access to the some parts of the file. Filemaker software has only tow options for accounts, full access and read only. How about to let some accounts not to reach all parts but some of it? Can I reach to an account name so I can write a script to discover whether this account is allowed to make some changes or not?

Thanks in advance

• 5. Re: log in windows
                  philmodjunk

FileMaker has way more granularity in access options than those Those are simply two ready made privilege sets. But you can go into manage security and create your own privilege sets to assign to different accounts that you also create.

Different privilege sets can have different sets of menu options.

You can set which records within a table are accessible to a given user. For example a user can be allowed to only see and edit records where their account name was entered into a field in that record.

You can control which layouts are accessible

and other options as well.

• 6. Re: log in windows
                    haider2016

Dear Phil,

Thank you very much, you are really super star.

regards

• 7. Re: log in windows
                      haider2016

Dear Phil,

I have a database about university departments. Each departments has its own subjects. the main layout in the database has a popover shows the department subjects.

Depending on account, which is normally for a department, I need to show its subjects and hide all other departments. Something for records, I need the database only shows the departments records only.

The account privilege not shows the control to popovers or buttons. Is there any way?

I am sorry for disturbing you, but you are the best.

Thanks in advance,

• 8. Re: log in windows
                        philmodjunk

I suggest searching out posts using the phrase: record level access control.

When you you create a new privilege set, you can specify custom privileges for tables in order to set up an expression that controls whether a user can view, edit, delete a given record.

But that's just to get you started.  There's a lot more on the subject in other discussions here in this forum.