1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 3:35 PM by eoin

Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)

eoin

Product and version Filemaker Go 14.0.4 & Filemaker Go 15.0.3

OS and version      iOS 8.2 & iOS 10.2.1

Browser and version N/A

Hardware iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro

Bluetooth Scanner Motorola / Symbol CS3070

Description:

Database hosted on local network FMS15 server (Mac), Mixture of FMP15 Macs and 14 iPads on the local network.

On the iPad ....

User taps into an empty portal row on a layout designed to receive scanned Barcodes from a bluetooth scanner. A scan is made and the scanner transmits the data and populates the the field with the scanned data. A carriage return appended to the barcode forces the "on object validate" script trigger to run a script which checks for the existence of the barcode in the stock control file and populates fields in the portal row the scan data has been entered on. Providing the barcode existed the script then moves focus to the next empty row of the portal and selects the scandata field ready for the next scan.

This logic has performed flawlessly for the past number of years up to and including Filemaker Go 13.0.9

When we upgraded Filemaker Go from 13.0.9 to 15.0.3 we noticed that on 50% of the scanned barcode data the first digit of the barcode was missing in the scandata field. This naturally caused an error because it didn't match the stored barcode in the stock control file.

We tried several of the BT barcode scanners and they all returned the same result. Filemaker Go dropping the 1st digit on 50% of the scans when populating the scandata field.

We tested the Scanners  with the notepad on the iOS devices and the Notepad accepted 100% accurate scans from the scanners with all digits present.

Filemaker Go 14.0.4 displays the exact same problem dropping the 1st digit of the barcode when it populates the scandata field.

Workaround Re-Installed Filemaker Go 13.0.9 on the iPad and everything works as it has for the past 3 years.

But the problem will be inconsistency with layout design for elements introduced in FM14 & 15 don't render in FMGO13.

FMGo13 is now 2 generations behind, so not a longterm solution.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
          TSGal

eoin:

Thank you for your post.

If you use the built-in camera (not bluetooth scanner), are you able to reproduce the issue?

What type of barcode are you scanning?

Our Testing department has many Bluetooth scanners to test.  Which one are you using?  Which ones have you tested?

Is the file local or hosted?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
            eoin

TSGal

I have never checked the built in camera because the workflow in using it is too slow, however I will check it and report back.

We scan EAN13, EAN8 and EAN128 (now called GS1-128)

Scanner type Mentioned in template, Symbol / Motorola CS3070 Bluetooth scanner.

Again Mentioned, file is hosted on FMS15 server (mac) on local network with all clients also on local network.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
              TSGal

eoin:

Thank you for the additional information.

I have tested using the built-in camera and Insert From Device using EAN-13, EAN-8, and both EAN-13 and EAN-8.  (There is no option for EAN-128).  All scans have worked correctly.

I have also tested having the file locally and hosted (FileMaker Server 15.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.11.6 and Windows Server 2012 R2).

I'll wait until you can test the built-in camera to determine how to proceed next.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                eoin

Hi TSGal

Attached please find a "quick" file I created and uploaded to my server for testing.

Under FMGO13 it functions perfectly  See test 0005

Under FMGO15 I have scan failures all missing the 1st digit of the barcode. See test0008

Again I have used the Symbol / Motorola CS3070 Scanner in these tests.

Also find a scan of the barcode used for testing.

Username Admin

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                  TSGal

eoin:

I downloaded your files, and I see you are using the barcode scanner as a keyboard device; not as a scanning device.

I made some changes and added a script so I could use the built-in scanning for EAN-13 and EAN-8, but it does not recognize the barcode in your PDF.  To verify, I pointed it to another EAN-13 and EAN-8 barcodes, and they scanned just fine.  I then changed the Insert From Device script step to include all bar code types, and the scan then works on your PDF.  I then repeated the process 10+ times, and there was no dropping of digits.

Now that I know you are using it as an input device, I have sent all information to our Development and Testing departments to determine why your particular scanning/input device works in FileMaker Go 13 but not subsequent versions.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                    TSGal

eoin:

Testing would like a clearer image of the barcode in the scan.pdf file.

Testing also asked what is the time between one scan and the next scan?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                      eoin

Hi TSGal,

I will organise this tomorrow given the time difference.

Time between scans is a minimum of 4  seconds or longer, any quicker means the next scan data from the BT scanner can be appended during the keyboard buffer write before the field looses focus. The keyboard buffer write on a layout with 30+ digits needs a little time to complete.

In the actual application (not the file I attached), after a scan a quantity is manually entered via the iOS keyboard and then focus moves to the next scandata row in the portal. But in both applications, I am seeing the issue with FMGo dropping the 1st digit.

However that being said .... the issue is always and only the missing first digit of the barcode not any other corruption.

Given your previous comment "keyboard device v's scanning device" I was not aware there was any other way to use an external scanner with FMGo other than as keyboard emulation, can you explain?.

I will post a better scan of the barcode tomorrow.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                        TSGal

eoin:

Thanks for the information.

I apologize for any confusion.  In my original reply, I wanted you to test using the built-in scanner.

Due to my lack of experience with a bluetooth scanner, I hadn't realized it could only be used as an input device.

Using my browser, I was able to find someone with a similar issue with a Motorola Symbol, model #LS1203 barcode scanner where the first character was also lost (not in FileMaker).  This may provide some insight.

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/412478

I have sent your timing information to our Testing department.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                          eoin

Hi again TSGal,

I don't wish to appear argumentative this is absolutely not my intention and I appreciate the interest you've shown in this, but the article  states ...

I scanned a barcode (0 4411-41274-4) using my RedLaser barcode scanning application for iOS, and the result was '0044114127444'. However, another user scanned the same barcode using a Motorola Symbol, model #LS1203 barcode scanner which yielded '044114127444' (same as my result but with one less '0' in front).

I think he has wider issues as the symbol scanner returned the correct start of the barcode ( there is only 1 zero) compared to the RedLaser, but both added an extra 4 to the end of the scan. Sometimes the human readable number form can physically read differently to the actual scan form for many reasons and generally due to the limitation of barcode generation software requiring a text field to display the human readable form (program/user error)

My point in all of this, my Symbol scanner scans and returns the correct data 100% of the time in FMGo 13 and not in FMGo 14 or FMGo 15 with the same file hosted on FMS15.

It also returns the data 100% of the time when scanning into the iOS notepad application or any other text application on the iOS device.

Again I just post this for clarity for anyone reading back on this thread.

thanks again and I'll post a better copy of the barcode tomorrow!.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                            eoin

Hi again TSGal,

Attached please find a higher resolution scan of a barcode.

Thanks

Eoin

• 11. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                              DPong

Just want to add a few things, I did a quick test with my built in scanner units that are attached to iPad and a different setup with iPod touch (https://ipcmobile.com/ ), also from a BT Socket unit (Socket Mobile | Mobile POS Barcode Scanners | Data Capture Scanner ).  All 3 scans were correct using your test app. 

The RedLaser (if it is the same one app from eBay (eventual owner) ), was discontinued a few years back, so it might need updating to work properly with the current version of IOS.  

If your codes are consistent length and your set on using the red laser app, do count and remove the first character in the scan and replace.

I tested this in GO14 and 15.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                                TSGal

eoin:

Thank you for the updated scan.

Based on earlier explanation of time between scans, our Testing department was able to replicate the issue using a Scanfob 2002 Bluetooth Barcode Scanner.  With the scanner's interval set to 400 msec, Testing's results show the complete barcode was captured when using FileMaker Go 13.0.9, but the first character was dropped when using FileMaker Go 14.0.4 and FileMaker Go 15.0.3.

All information has been forwarded to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                                  eoin

DPong, thank you for the input.

I am using a Symbol / Motorola CS3070 BT Scanner, the red laser was mentioned in a different discussion TSGal referred to and bares no relevance to the issue I am experiencing.

I am curious, was my file hosted on a FMServer when you tested it?.

Do you have an iPad to also test it when hosted?.

Thank you for the information on the socket mobile scanner, it may prove a valuable tip if it takes a while for the

FMI Development Team to overcome the issue.

Thanks again.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Go 14 & 15 drops 1st digit of scanned barcode. (BT Scanner)
                                    eoin

TSGal,

Thanks for the update, it is heartening to know the issue is repeatable in the versions of FMGo I have tried.

I'll look forward to hopefully hearing this is fixed.

Thanks for all your help

Eoin

1 2 Previous Next