3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 10:55 AM by schamblee

Insert Audio/Video on iOS? ("Files on iPod"..."No files available")

jfencil

Question..... How do I get Insert Video to work on iOS when you are asked to reference the file from your Mac.? I am wrapping this application w/ FM iOS SDK. Should I include the video file in my Xcode Project file? I am also running FM Server, can I add the video file to the server and then reference the video file on the server? This seems like it would be pretty straightforward to figure out. Thank you for your help!!!

My Findings.....

1. Referencing Insert Audio/Video, I was able to figure out how to insert a video into my FM iOS SDK wrapped app on my Mac....

The video successfully plays on my Mac.

2. On iOS.... it FM says Files on iPod.... "No files available"  This is pretty obvious, because I am referencing the file that lives on the Mac:

moviemac:/Untitled/Users/James/Desktop/Checkmark2_alpha (Converted).mov

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 9.30.34 AM.png

3. Obviously the file is not stored on the iOS device. How can I get this to work? I should not have to add a video file to every single device our application is running on. Please help!

I am wrapping this application w/ FM iOS SDK. Should I include the video file in my Xcode Project file? I am also running FM Server, can I add the video file to the server and then reference the video file on the server? This seems like it would be pretty straightforward to figure out. Thank you for your help!!!

• 1. Re: Insert Audio/Video on iOS? ("Files on iPod"..."No files available")
          schamblee

ios SDK is basically the same as FMGo

FileMaker Go doesn’t support storing container field data externally. FileMaker Go 15 Development Guide

You could use a webviewer to play the video from a server.  If the users will be connecting to FMS then you could send the video to the device after the user connects.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Insert Audio/Video on iOS? ("Files on iPod"..."No files available")
            jfencil

Thank you for the quick response schamblee, I appreciate it. This video will play on the last layout the user interacts w/ so I will send the video to the device when the user goes into that specific layout.

• 3. Re: Insert Audio/Video on iOS? ("Files on iPod"..."No files available")
              schamblee

The video will have to be on the device if you use AVplayer, the file will have be in a container field.   The webviewer can play from a web server but a internet / network connection will be required. 

I assume you are wanting to distribute your Database in the App store which has a limit on file size.  If this is the case then you would distribute the App without the video contain in the database.  The first time the App runs it would connect to a FMS by internet to sync the data (one way - from server to the ios device)  Then you would use AVplayer to play the video from the container or export the file from the container to the document path to play the video with a webviewer.   I would test both methods to see which one gives you the best results, less crashes.  Either case I would play only one video at a time.   If you export the video from the container, then after playing the video then you would delete the video from the document path.