9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2017 12:01 PM by philmodjunk

Sum of repeated fields

hapivo

Hi there.

I have 3 repeated fields  Component, price and content in%. I would like calculate the price of the mixture. So I have created another repeated field Calc (=Price*content in mixture) and the field Price (=Sum ( Calc)/100). But it is too complicated. Is there any possibility to specify calculation of the price directly in the field  Price without creating and using repeated field Calc.

ComponentPricecontent in mixture (%)Calc
      barley 1033330
      wheat1533495
      corn2034680
      100%15,05

many thanks for your help Ivo

• 1. Re: Sum of repeated fields
          user19752

There is only 3 repetition, so you can repeat 3 times as

(Price[1]*content in mixture[1] +

Price[2]*content in mixture[2] +

Price[3]*content in mixture[3] ) /100

• 2. Re: Sum of repeated fields
            siplus

Doing it correctly is even more complicated, but it will pay back in time.

You should have

- a mixture table (mixture ID, mixture name)

- an ingredient table (Ingredient ID, name, currentPrice)

- a recipe table (recipe ID, fk_Mixture, fk_Ingredient, qty ) holding all the ingredients involved in a specific mixture

• 3. Re: Sum of repeated fields
              hapivo

Many thanks, but it is  only simple example, the repeated fields have 40 repetition

• 4. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                hapivo

Yes I have recipe table and ingredient table with relationship between tables.

• 5. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                  siplus

Then add the following fields in the recipe table:

PriceCalc = Recipes_Ingredients::CurrentPrice * qty / 100

SumPrice = Total of PriceCalc (summary field)

and when sitting on the mixture table display the field mixtures_recipes::SumPrice which will reflect the total price of your mixture.

• 6. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                    hapivo

This kind of solution I'm using now. But I need to sum not only price field in the mixture but approximately 250 another characteristics of mixture I'm looking for more practically way - to spare 250 repeated fields Calc.

• 7. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                      siplus

Well then you might need a substructure in a middle, like a whole group of ingredients that you add or not to your mixture.

Like pizza margherita: add group PizzaBase, add group TomatoSauce, add element mozzarella.

Group TomatoSauce is made of tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil.

• 8. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                        hapivo

Sorry but I don't understand exactly what  do you mean it.

siplus wrote:

Well then you might need a substructure in a middle, like a whole group of ingredients that you add or not to your mixture.

Like pizza margherita: add group PizzaBase, add group TomatoSauce, add element mozzarella.

Group TomatoSauce is made of tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil.

If I need such type of calculation of repeated fields for example in Excel, there is simple calculation in the cell

exc.example.tiff

is some suitable possibility for calculations field?

• 9. Re: Sum of repeated fields
                          philmodjunk

There is a sum function in FileMaker. You can look it up in help. But FileMaker is not a spreadsheet application, it's a relational database. It works differently.

And you should not be using repeating fields for this.