6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 1:42 PM by JulioSandoval

Filmmaker Go and Geolocation

JulioSandoval

Hello,

I actually have two questions that I need help answered;

Question 1:

We are using FileMaker Go on iPads and have containers for images.

When we insert from device:camera, it does NOT store the EXIF of the image.

Does anyone know why?

If I upload the image from the iPads library (Meaning the user has to leave FM Go, and take a picture from the Camera App)

the EXIF of the image is present.

***If you wish to test this for yourself, choose Camera when you tap your container, and for a second record choose Photo Library.

Then drag and drop the images to your desktop or export it. Then look at the Photo Details (if you are using Apple, open Photo in preview, then press command+i for image details. One image will have EXIF Tab, the other does not.***

Question 2:

Why does FM Go take so long to grab a Geolocation??

I am using get(location value) function. Timeouts are set to 30 seconds for testing purposes and the Accuracy is set to 300.

It takes at least 20 seconds over the wifi to grab a geolocation.

When I copy the DB to my phone, the highest was 7 seconds.

Thank you all for your time.

I appreciate it.

We are using:

FileMaker Pro Advanced 15 - Latest

FileMaker Go 15 - Latest

• 1. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
          taylorsharpe

On question 1, the Apple camera does collect the EXIF data, but due to Apple security, it strips the EXIF when sending the data from the OS layer to the FM Go app layer.  Maybe if FM read the picture from the iOS pictures file, then it probably would have it.  Not sure, but you are correct that the EXIF data does not come thru in FM Go. 

On question 2, you can control the time it takes but loosening the accuracy required.  To get a location with decent accuracy, it needs to get a reading from 5 satellites.  That doesn't happen very fast and it clearly is hindered if you are not outdoors. 

• 2. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
            Vaughan

Store the geo-location in separate fields using the Location() function. No need to rely on the EXIF data from the camera.

• 3. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
              JulioSandoval

I think it's unproductive for Apple to not allow an Apple product get some vital information.

We need to provide RAW images and the EXIF already embedded into the image would be wonderful.

I don't understand why this "security" is needed. Specially since the EXIF is not stripped if you upload the image from the iPads library.

Makes no sense to me.

And as Vaughan pointed out, yes you can have separate fields for the Geolocation, but that means they have to stop between every picture that is taken for it to record the geolocation on the record the image is being taken on.

• 4. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
                Vaughan

No need to stop between every picture to record geolocation. Script the process: create a new record for each photo and auto-enter the location.  Something like

Clear global container field

Loop

Insert from camera into global container field

exit loop if camera cancelled

new record

set photo in global field into record

set location fields

end loop

• 5. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
                  taylorsharpe

JulioSandoval wrote:

I think it's unproductive for Apple to not allow an Apple product get some vital information...

This is a privacy issue and Apple has a pretty strict policy on protecting privacy.  Generally that is good for the consumer, but sometimes such as this case, it has limitations.  And it is not just Apple that does this.  The main phone carriers strip EXIF data when you send an MMS text message as a way of protecting privacy.  So Apple is in line with large corporate privacy policies.  The obvious next step to improve things would be for the users to grant permissions for such data to be included when they send a picture.  But it is not a choice right now in iOS with FM Go.  So I feel your frustration. 

• 6. Re: Filmmaker Go and Geolocation
                    JulioSandoval

Thank you all for your answers. Greatly appreciated!!