7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2017 6:50 PM by jbrown

Photograph records

mcintyre2

I can't decide what type of records formats would be best for the following scenario.  I take pictures at the time of a consultation, prior to and after a surgery.  The post-op pictures are at 2 weeks, 8 weeks and 3 months since the surgery.  Each session has a minimum of 6 pictures.  I want to be able in a portal to compare a prep picture to a post-op result to show the changes made (you would be absolutely amazed at what a person forget what was there before and what is there afterwards). 

The relationship would be a patient has multiple surgeries, sometimes several at the some time and others on a different date.  Each surgery has many pictures.   I don't know what would be most efficient as far as photo record management.  Should I just use a layout with multiple field from the some Table, each field being a container field?  There will be at least 6 container field on the layout labeled "preoperative pictures", then in another layout from the same table for "postop pictures first session" then other layouts representing sequential postoperative picture session.  This mean the table will have a minimum of 24 container fields.  (  I know it will be more but for clarity this is an example.)    All pictures would be in a single table.    Or should I just have each picture, let say an AP shot (from the front) be a new record from a table with just one container field that links to the operation ID and subsequently the patient ID.  This method would require only a handful of fields. The other because some operations take 10 picture but most use 6 pictures would require additional picture container field that might not be utilized.  Example: If one operation lets say a breast augmentation, which I do a lot, typically uses 6 picture and a mommy makeover, which I do a reasonable number, requires at least 10 picture then that would mean 4 containers in the breast augmentation record would not be filled.  Seem like a waste of fields. 

Any advice?

Thank, Dr B

• 1. Re: Photograph records
          Johan Hedman

I would create a infinite slide for each session

Creating an Infinite Slider in FileMaker

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photograph records
            RubenVanDenBoogaard

I would use a related record for each photo. You could also store additional info like angle etc.

Using related records makes it much more flexible if you want to add more photo's, or want to create a report across multiple visits of a patient.

• 3. Re: Photograph records
              dale_allyn

I have a rather complex solution in which photographs (and photomicrographs) are stored. In my setup, I have an image library table (e.g. reportImgLib). It is related to the "reportDetails" table on the report ID. The reportDetails record is related to submission line items. So each client can have multiple submissions (in your case, procedures), with detailed reports for each submission item, and unlimited images for each specific report (or procedure).

When viewing the report detail I have a tab which presents related photos. On this tab is a portal to the image library filtered on the reportID. There's a thumbnail and description, date, time, etc. Clicking a thumbnail (or a view details button in the portal row) opens a new window (image detail window) showing a split pane: left side is a scrollable view of thumbnails (plus some navigation buttons for next and previous); right pane is a large image of the selected/active thumb. Details of the image are in text fields beneath the large image.

Perhaps this is an approach which would appeal to you.

HTH,

Dale

• 4. Re: Photograph records
                mcintyre2

Johan, your solution sound promising. I looked at your Infinite Slider but as a beginner I can't quite figure it out.  also are the panes pictures of wood grains? 

• 5. Re: Photograph records
                  mcintyre2

Dale, your solution sounds promising.  I will give that a try.  You had good analogies related to what I do and that is helpful.  Wrapping my head completely around an ER in some cases is complicated.  Thank you very much.

Dr Bridges

• 6. Re: Photograph records
                    Jaymo

I agree with Ruben. Multiple pictures means multiple records which then means a related table and a portal to make the solution relationally sound. Add a category and notes field to the related table so you can categorize the photo (2 weeks, 8 weeks, 3 months, etc) and also make notes.

• 7. Re: Photograph records
                      jbrown

Hello

Many others have given this advice: using the related records, you build a better model for your data. Since 1 report could have many pics, it is a good idea to build it in this fashion.

I did this for a client. I had to provide a portal of the many pictures of a job site.

The portal display was distressing to me; it looked nothing like a custom app; no other app would show pictures this way. So I looked to the web and how they build their photo albums.

The result was a photo album that uses the related records of a report parent and displays those pics in a web viewer, using a javascript library.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 7.44.41 PM.png

It works very well on Mac, on the client and on Go. It most likely works on Windows, though there can be some issues. This can be customized tremendously. In this example, you can filter the pics by the tags shown above, and you can click on any pic to see the pic and all its related data.

The whole process is fairly painless to set up. You can get the library here which provides a complete integration. The hardest part of this is setting up a script to collect the pictures in the proper format.

I'd be happy to help you out if you want to go this route.