4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 1:32 PM by ariw

Using FileMaker Pro for Prototyping

ariw

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if other members of the community use FileMaker Pro purely for rapid prototyping? I recently designed a new database, but none of my clients are FileMaker users. So I used FileMaker to build the database structure and basic UI, then handed the specs to a third-party developer. They're using a different set of tools to turn my design into a SaaS product I can sell.

So: Anyone else doing this? If so, how do you document your requirements or share your database with third parties who don't necessarily have FileMaker?

Thanks,

Ari W

Newbie - please forgive any stupid questions.

• 1. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for Prototyping
          FileKraft

You can use creation of a run-time if you have FileMaker Advanced - so no need to have a copy of FMPro.

Also you can add comments on the layout in tooltips - or place comment fields ..

Sometimes if you mock up within 2 weeks you can also use the 14 days trial period of FMP.

We shared a solution over FMServer and all involved in prototyping added in layout mode there thoughts by placing text objects in different colors - there was no real structure but duplicating the layouts with the differently colored annotations gave us somehow an idea what we wanted to do...

Yes it was chaotic but we got pretty close to the final product.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for Prototyping
            coherentkris

you could always export a ddr and have the developer use that as the schema definition.

• 3. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for Prototyping
              FileKraft

how could the DDR be used to provide a schema definition for another platform? for non-FM implementations?

• 4. Re: Using FileMaker Pro for Prototyping
                ariw

The DDR is helpful, though might require editing and re-formatting to be a useful guide for non-FileMaker developers.

Looking at the DDR for my solution it does provide full details of every table, field and relationship, as well as value lists. Information about layouts and table occurrences would not be relevant for third parties if they're not familiar with FileMaker.