4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2017 12:57 PM by garry107

Creating a layout

garry107

I came across few troubles in my project. I am still in learning phase for filemaker. Here are some  problems

1. I have a contact field in my layout, and my team lead is asking me for a plus sign so that employees can add multiple contacts when they need

2. I want to add several pdfs in a single field in a particular record. How is that possible? I tried making a slave table and connecting it but ran in some trouble. I created a slave table and added the pdfs there but I am having trouble of how to look up all the pdfs on that record from the master table.

3. is there anyway of downloading the pdfs in the document field in a particular record or viewing them?

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

Garry

• 1. Re: Creating a layout
          coherentkris

1. I have a contact field in my layout, and my team lead is asking me for a plus sign so that employees can add multiple contacts when they need.

Stop whatever development you are doing and invest some time in understanding and modeling the data that your system will capture.

Data modeling - Wikipedia

Once you understand the data the schema (tables, fields and the relationships between them) you need to build will be clear.

#1 is a request is for a one to many relationship from whatever entity the layout represents to many contacts.

Thus there should be a contacts table and a primary key / foreign key relationship between the layout table and the contacts table.

2. I want to add several pdfs in a single field in a particular record. How is that possible? I tried making a slave table and connecting it but ran in some trouble. I created a slave table and added the pdfs there but I am having trouble of how to look up all the pdfs on that record from the master table.

3. is there anyway of downloading the pdfs in the document field in a particular record or viewing them?

These also suggest possible need for a separate table. Once again if you understand the data needs you will be able to make a better determination. Master/Slave is not a term i would get used to when talking about relationships. You should stick to parent child.

Also read up on container fields.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a layout
            philmodjunk

Instead of trying to insert more than one PDF into the same container field, set up a related table with one container field to a record and insert each pdf into the container field of a different related record.

I suggest that you look up the term "portal" as this is the most common way of working with multiple child records from the context of a layout based on a record in the parent table.

• 3. Re: Creating a layout
              garry107

Thanks a lot for your overview. I get the data modelling, basically it was a small mistake i made while making one-many relationship. I got this covered.

Thanks a lot guys

• 4. Re: Creating a layout
                garry107

Your suggestion of taking help of portal helped me a lot. Its looking better now.

Thanks a lot.

Garry