AnsweredAssumed Answered

script trigger infinite loop

Question asked by tracievans@mobileda.org on Feb 10, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 by philmodjunk

We have had an issue where there is no consistency in how a report number is being entered within Filemaker.

It is a text field because the report number starts with abbreviations to inform the user of which county the report came from and then the rest of the report number finishes up with the year, month, and individual report number.

Some people are adding dashes, some are adding a a 2 in front of 17 (to represent 2017) and my boss wants me to make it where there are no dashes and no 2 so that everyone knows how to properly search for a report number. Right now it's a guess of whether there are dashes or a 2 in front or not.

For example: M-217-02-1234 should be M17021234

So I have created an onObjectExit script trigger that will remove the dashes and the 2 right after the M.

However, that has me stuck in an infinite loop because every time it tries to exit the field (commit record), it starts the script all over again.

I have tried several different script trigger options but the same thing happens.

Can someone please tell me how to get out of this loop within the script!!!

I need this completed ASAP.

I have tried exit script, commit records, and install ontimerscript just restarts the script every time the time runs out.

I am using a MAC with Filemaker 15 pro advanced and sierra OS, server is filemaker server 15.

Outcomes