7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2017 9:24 PM by philmodjunk

Splitting Database

naknak

Hi there,

I'm new to Filemaker Pro 15 and have a simple question. 

I need to split our database into 2.  Is this possible and what is the simplest safest way to do it?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Splitting Database
          beverly

1. That would depend WHY

2. You might research 'separation' on this forum

You should move this question to the @Discussions place. See if these instructions help:

Sent from miPhone

• 2. Re: Splitting Database
            TSPigeon

naknak:

Thank you for your post!

As beverly suggested to you, I'm going to move this thread from the FileMaker Community Feedback Space, which is specifically for input on the Community itself, to the Discussions Space where you should receive more views and potentially more feedback on this topic!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Splitting Database
              philmodjunk
              1. Make a copy of your file.
              2. Name the two copies the way you want so that you can tell which is the User Interface (UI) file and which will function as the data or "back end" file.
              3. Open the UI copy of the file and open Manage | Database | Relationships
              4. Double click each table occurrence box in the relationships graph to open a dialog box where you can modify the settings for that table occurrence.
              5. On the first such case, select "add FileMaker Datasource" find your back end copy and select it as the data source. This produces a list of tables in that file. Select the table with the same name as the data source table for your table occurrence.
              6. Repeat this on every other table occurrence box, but you can skip the "add data source" step as you should only need to do that once. Just select that data source and then select the appropriate table. Each time you make this change to a table occurrence, the text style of the occurrence name will change to italics.
              7. When all table occurrence boxes show italics, go to the tables tab and delete all the tables listed there as you are no longer using them in the UI file.

You have now made the minimum changes needed to split the file.

You can now review relationships and remove those not needed in the data file from the data file and those not needed in the UI file from the UI file, but you can also just leave the "as is".

You may also need to review any scripts set to use full access privileges when they run as they no longer have "full access" to the data in the data file when run from the UI file.

• 4. Re: Splitting Database
                perry.dockrill@yahoo.com

Thank you for posting this. I was looking for a way to do this.

i do have a question. I have an application with around 25 tables and another 15 instances that are copies of some of those tables.

if I try to source a copy table in my UI  with the copy table from my source database, I only see the original table and my UI table gets named as the original.  The references in the UI app get changed to the original table name.

will the references to the copy tables get resolved or will my application break?

Is there another way to do this?

perry

• 5. Re: Splitting Database
                  philmodjunk

I copy the table occurrence name to the clipboard, select the source table from the data file and then paste from the clipboard to return the name to the original. You have to update each occurrence to refer to the external data source.

• 6. Re: Splitting Database
                    perry.dockrill@yahoo.com

Thanks very much.  I have a few other questions:

1.  Does the Filemaker application use relationships from the UI/app file or from the database source file?

2. I have a dozen clients using my application stand alone on iPads. I would like to separate the database from the app so that we can update the app and they can keep their investment in data without doing data conversions.  Is this a reasonable approach?

3. Are there any white papers on this or any other approaches to deployment?

Perry Dockrill

Sent from my iPad

• 7. Re: Splitting Database
                      philmodjunk

"1.  Does the Filemaker application use relationships from the UI/app file or from the database source file?"

You likely will need relationships in both files but not necessarily the same relationships. If you define a calulation field or an auto-enter field option that requires a relationship, that relationship must be defined in the data file. Layouts, scripts, or value lists in the interface file that refer to related data require relationships in the interface file.

"2. I have a dozen clients using my application stand alone on iPads. I would like to separate the database from the app so that we can update the app and they can keep their investment in data without doing data conversions.  Is this a reasonable approach?"

This works the same as for FileMaker Pro. If you update the interface file only, then you can deploy an updated copy of the UI file without having to import data. If, however, you still need to update the data file, then you need to include a scripted method for moving the data from the old data file into the new.