14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 10:54 AM by philmodjunk

FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field

PSI

It doesn't appear there is a way to turn off the keyboard on FM GO. I want the user to be able to scroll a notes field without the keyboard showing.

Any fancy workaround?

Thanks in advance.

John

• 1. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
          mikebeargie

use a webviewer showing the contents of a field, not a field object.

• 2. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
            PSI

Nice idea but can I do that without export the field?

• 3. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
              PSI

Mike,

I figured out how to display the data. Apparently there is a big difference in how a web viewer displays in FMP vs FM GO.

In FMP it loses returns between entries but displays the text normal size. In FM GO it appears really small and all bunched together.

I guess I need to add some tags to fix that. Researching now. will report back.

• 4. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                philmodjunk

There is another option that I've used:

Put a popover on the layout. Make the popover really tall. It can be much longer than your iOS screen if needed.

Place the text either as a merge field or a regular field with browse mode access blocked. You can now scroll the popover instead of scrolling the field, but as long as the popover is as long or longer than needed to show all the text, it works.

• 5. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                  PSI

Phil,

thanks for the idea. if I can't get the web viewer option to work this could be the solution.

John

• 6. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                    rgordon

Why not just use a script trigger to disable the keyboard on entry and then enable it on exit with another trigger. There is a script step to do this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                      mikebeargie

I believe that messes with the scrolling rgordon.

• 8. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                        rgordon

Nope, scrolling works fine without the keyboard.  The suggestions given were for pre FileMaker Go 14. The following script works great for this

If Get(Scriptparameter) = "off"

Enable Touch Keyboard [off]

else

Enable Touch Keyboard [on]

End If

Then use an on enter trigger with the parameter "off" and an on exit trigger with no parameter.

• 9. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                          PSI

It turns out Enable Touch Keyboard is the solution. I liked the web viewer option but it didn't render correctly in FM GO.

Thanks rgordon!

• 10. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                            culmac

I'm using FM 13 advanced and I don't have a script step 'Enable Touch Keyboard'.

I am using FM GO v15.

My biggest problem is even if I hide the KB I still get the toolbar controls which I don't want.

I've built all my own keyboards using popups because FM wont give me a KB without extra stuff. But this bar that usually appears at the top of the KB is a show stopper. Anyone that can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Jim

IMG_0616.JPG

• 11. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                              arjen.evertse

The script trigger to disable / enable the keyboard should do the job as you mentioned.

Just in case you will still like to go for the webviewer:

"data:text/html," & "<meta name=\"viewport\" content=\"initial-scale=1.0\" />"

& GetAsCSS ( Table::Field )

Will fix your issues. GetAsCSS will keep any formatting you did to the text including character returns that are ignored by the webviewer normally. The viewport tag is fixing the size problem on Go15.

In case you want to create the same styles as other fields even you did not apply this format to the text in the field, try this:

"data:text/html," & "<meta name=\"viewport\" content=\"initial-scale=1.0\" />"

& GetAsCSS ( TextColor ( TextSize ( TextFont ( Table::Field ; "Trebuchet MS" ) ; 16 ) ; RGB ( 128 ; 128 ; 128 ) ) )

Of course replace the font name, text size and color to you match your style.

Benefits from webviewer are several if it is for viewing only, most important it allows selecting, copy, paste etc without giving access to the field and it won't show options like text formatting when something is selected.

• 12. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                                culmac

Thanks for the 'web viewer' tips. Very helpful.

I still have the problem below.

"I'm using FM 13 advanced and I don't have a script step 'Enable Touch Keyboard'."

Do I have to upgrade to FM V15 get that script step?

Thanks

Jim

• 13. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                                  arjen.evertse

The Enable Touch Keyboard was introduced in FM 14.

The bar shown in your previous post however is called Record Edit Toolbar. Again, since FM 14 the Show/Hide Toolbar script step has an option to include Record Edit Toolbar to control whether or not this bar will show on top of your keyboard.

• 14. Re: FM GO - Turn off Keyboard for Text Field
                                    philmodjunk

rgordon said:

Nope, scrolling works fine without the keyboard.  The suggestions given were for pre FileMaker Go 14. The following script works great for this

Well not exactly when I test this. I had made a mental note of this technique and decided to update one of my older solutions to use it instead of a scrolling read only popover. But I don't like the results.

Yes, once you've entered the field and the script has disabled the keyboard, you can "scroll the field just fine", but the cursor has been placed at the very end of the field--what happens with every text box field in FM GO--an irritating limitation that I'd like to see modified so that you get the cursor where you tapped. No scripting that I can do will both disable the keyboard and put the cursor at the beginning of the field. I can use set selection to put the cursor at the beginning in a script that does not disable the keyboard, but disabling the keyboard seems to return the cursor to the end of the field.

Thus, when you have a lot of text in the field, you force the user to scroll back to the top before they can start reading the contents of the field. This is an irritating option that I will choose to avoid by using the scrolling popover technique.

So I have to agree with mikebeargie that this does still "screw up the scroll", as it forces the user to do unnecessary scrolling of the contents when they first tap into the field.