12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 2:07 PM by JackRodges

Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.

akhlaq38

I am not sure it is only the matter of design which I adopted or it is limitation of Filemaker. Here is the case.

Our product is multi-dimensional. First comes section name (60) then its thickness (4) then colors (4). Total 960 products need to be created. Next comes length size which is challenging. Although we have 3 standard length sizes 14, 16 and 18 feet but some time a customer demand any odd size which need to cut from a standard size. So the size available in inventory can be 1 to 18. So 18 more division need to apply to the product list. Now it will be 17280 products in the list. Each will show its quantity in inventory. There is another approach. We could keep 960 basic products and the length size could be created as fields (18) in the table. But there were many complications in the design. First we need a long formula to calculate the total feet as the product is selling in per foot price. Each field will be multiply to its quantity, then added all these multiplications (18).

When we prepare a bill, we draw required standard length size but when we sell a piece we first draw any available std size in separate table then enter the quantity of 2 sizes in the entry table. For example we need to sell a piece of 7’, we draw a 16’ length, cut into 2 pieces 7 and 9. Now we draw 16’ from main inventory table and enter 7’ and 9’ manually in the main table. After that we can be able to prepare the bill.

Recently I seen a database application on our retailer's shop. It was created in Oracle. The piece cutting process was automatic. In preparing invoice, when select first three categories of product, a list of available length sizes was appear in the bottom. Now we choose 16’ length in a cell to cut and enter 7’ in next cell which is our required cut size, the remaining 9’ length size was appearing automatically in the available length sizes.

Now my question to the experts developers is (which mostly know the oracle coding) that is it possible only in Oracle or is it only the design matter and can be adopted in Filemaker by using some script?

• 1. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
          philmodjunk

I see nothing in your description that isn't possible with FileMaker. Whether YOU can use FileMaker to do it is a question that I cannot answer.

• 2. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
            beverly

I suppose I would question what was used to read/write the data from/to Oracle and then used to create the interface (forms, lists, etc.) that displays the data or accepts entry. There can be several ways to create the Interface (Java, web applictions, etc.) and is separated from the database structure and data storage itself. Whereas FileMaker is integrated to have the ability to create layouts (forms & lists) as well as the design structure of the data and methods to automate processing of data entry and reporting.

Also keep in mind that SQL is not the standard method of SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE (by queries), rather it's the built-in functionality (scripts and calculations) of FileMaker to do these tasks without writing such queries.

So the choice may be what's available and usable now or what can be written (using either database). But the "transfer" of structures and forms is not automatically possible from Oracle (& its interface) to FileMaker. So a great deal of time and work would be undertaken to "recreate" what is in the Oracle-based solution into a FileMaker-based solution. Possible? yes!

beverly

(I work in MySQL, MS SQL and a little with Oracle, as well as with FileMaker.)

• 3. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
              JackRodges

Sounds like a solution that was created by the owner of a cabinet shop for Formica counter tops. Easily doable. I added pattern graphics later on.

It's as simple as this (and you can make it more complicated).

Record 1 16 feet in length

Add record 2 9 feet

Change record 1 to 7 feet

And then it begins... 

• 4. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                akhlaq38

Hi gofmp

I could not understand by these 3 lines.

Record 1 16 feet in length

Add record 2 9 feet

Change record 1 to 7 feet

Is it some kind of suggestions to fill data or some kind of scrip lines? I can enter records in an invoice which are being sold and have to print it and to send a customer and not the extra records for inventory purpose.

We prepare invoice and select our product from a long list which have every product we sell . But if it is a piece,(not std length) we cut from a std length. So we have to make an entry in a table specially designed for these entries. It will deduct the quantity from inventory. Then we enter 2 sizes in an other table which were produced by cutting that one length in 2 pieces. These pieces are separate products so their inventory level increase and they are now show as available. As I mentioned, we do this process manually in three steps/entries.

The question is how can we do it inside invoice line item portal which is designed to create invoices for customers and not for filling the inventory preparations.

It all was being done in an oracle database and was looks so quick and pretty and I could not imagine a design like this in Filemaker.

Any help to redesign my invoice entery and codes/ script. I am sure it shall be easy as mentioned by Philmode.

• 5. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                  beverly

Phil said POSSIBLE. I said POSSIBLE. Neither of us said "easy".  

Sent from miPhone

• 6. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                    akhlaq38

Hello Beverly and Philmod

Any suggestion to write a script in my invoice lines portal which can create new lines in an existing parent record of another portal. As I mention earlier the task is to automate the job. User will select the size of a standard length in a field which need to be cut then in next cell he will enter required size needed. When exit from that field three new records should be created, one in the table which is being used for removing the the product and two in the the table which is used for entering the inventory. I again mention the example. Supposed we select a 16 ft length for cutting and enter 7 ft to sell, remaining will be 9 ft. Now the 16' will be entered as 1 length removed and 7 and 9 ft sizes will be entered as added each quantity 1.

I think all the script will performed on the exit trigger of 7' field entry. Hope it is clear.

• 7. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                      CICT

Without going into detail we have a number of worktop solutions for granite and composites, and a windows shutter manufacturer, all of which have very similar parameters to those you've listed. All of these systems are published within our FileMaker cloud services.

We also have some sheet cutting optimisation and costing based on business rules.

I must also stress, none of these solutions are identical to any of the others, each is customised to each customer's particular requirements. The shutters manufacturer's products used in quotes and orders are all picked up directly from their website MySQL database, where they are maintained, and all online orders and enquiries made on the web site are automatically added to FileMaker and processed from there.

Therefore, the answer to your initial questions is a firm yes and Beverley is absolutely right, possible, but not necessarily easy!

Kind regards

Andy

• 8. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                        akhlaq38

Hi Andy!

Thank you for your response.

Our product is aluminum bars/sections to fabricate windows and doors. I myself created a database in filemaker and we use it satisfactorily. This was only to just make the data entry quick and automatic otherwise we are doing our job without much trouble. Filemaker have great advantage that a non professional person is able to make a database by own with little help of "community".

Thank you any way.

• 9. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                          CICT

No problem, I wasn't trying to 'pitch' our systems (we're flat out here), but to confirm that there is very little you can't do in Filemaker within most small to medium organisations. Many years ago we often had to revert to 'no, you can't do that', but I'd be very surprised if something came up these days. Of course, FileMaker isn't always the appropriate solution for everything, but I don't believe there is much out there that allows non-seasoned developers to get going, but not run out of steam when the advanced guys start pushing the envelope.

The answer to your original question regarding Oracle would have less to do with functionality, but more down to the number of transactions. Oracle and some other SQL systems are more appropriate when millions of transactions are the norm.

Good luck and you are right, the FileMaker community is an excellent place to gain advice. There isn't usually many days when we don't gain a useful insight into something here and that is despite 30 years at the FileMaker 'mouseface'.

Regards

Andy

• 10. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                            siplus

akhlaq38 wrote:

I am not sure it is only the matter of design which I adopted or it is limitation of Filemaker. Here is the case.

Our product is multi-dimensional. First comes section name (60) then its thickness (4) then colors (4). Total 960 products need to be created.

Stopped reading here.

You seem to have a big blur putting out of focus the difference between products and product characteristics.

If you are Honda, your products are just the ones you can choose from the main page (civic, CRV, Accord...)

All the rest should be placed in a related table.

It'snot about Oracle and Filemaker, it's about being able to bend a data structure to what the platform offers in the best way, once user's needs are acquired and understood. And to that extent I still have to see something that can't be wrapped around filemaker.

• 11. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                              philmodjunk

I am sure it shall be easy as mentioned by Philmod.

To add to what Beverly said, I said that Filemaker can do it and then pointed out that this doesn't mean that YOU can use FileMaker to do it as I have no idea what skill you have in using FileMaker nor whether you are able to take the time needed to acquire those skills If you do not.

• 12. Re: Is Filemaker capable of doing what Oracle can do.
                                JackRodges

Don't feel bad as many of us old pros suffered the same learning pains and some of us still do (me...).

What you are asking to do is doable but you might lose your business trying to learn how to do this. Many business owners fall victim to the computer joy and spend more time on it and less with their business.

I may sound like a traitor but i have often tried to provide the best advice: consider asking how much it would cost you to purchase that Oracle software. It might sound at first very expensive but the end costs of trying to do it yourself might be much more. Would you try to build your own automobile from parts you can purchase from the dealer?

If you don't want to do that, consider looking for a local FileMaker expert and spend a few dollars. You can also hook up with experts using the Internet and connectivity sharing software so they can connect with your database. The joy of FIleMaker needs a little guidance and spending a few bucks on an expert can save you a lot of trouble.