13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 2:46 PM by philmodjunk

Editing email sent to customers?

ren

Forgive me but I am very new at FileMaker Pro & we are using FileMaker pro 15 here at work.Please bare with me.

Ok when I send a cpmlo

p ted contract  to a customer a precomposed email pops up & I just add the customers name to make it personal. Well at the end of the email it has our old locations address & I have to manually go down delete it & type in the new address.

How do I change that address permanently so I dont have to edit it overtime?

Please & thank u,

Jessamy C.   

• 1. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
          Johan Hedman

That comes out of your signature and have nothing to do with FileMaker creating your email. Have a look at your Email software and signatures

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
            mattel

If you are having it open the email up in your local email client then look at the signatures of that client as johan suggested.

If the email is being generated and sent within filemaker, then the template needs to be updated.  We create user profiles for each user and have a field that saves their signature.  So every email that goes out of the system is sent as that user with their signature.

• 3. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
              taylorsharpe

John is probably right, but another possibility is that the address info was added as part of the FileMaker script that creates the email.  If John's suggestion about email signatures isn't the issue, then you'll need to look at the FileMaker script or button that creates the email. 

• 4. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                ren

well we use go daddy for our email & I have gone & changed the signature there. When I send email not using FileMaker pro the signature is changed. It has to do with FMP Im guessing.

• 5. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                  philmodjunk

Assuming as has been suggested that a FileMaker script is the cause, this an example of what I call "brittle design". A change has occurred, the text in the email needs to be changed, but because it's been "hard coded" into a script step, it takes a developer to track down the script step and change it.

A flexible alternative is to set up a table for such standardized messages where this message is stored in a text field. That way, when the standard message text needs to be updated, an authorized user can find and edit the message in the text field and a developer is thus not needed to make the change.

Note that such messages can still merge data from the database.

• 6. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                    ren

Oh wow! That all sounds very difficult! Its easier just to delete the old address every time & type in the new address as I've been doing since I got stuck in the office. I'm actually our Creative Marketing Director however due to a total rebuild in staff I've found myself the now only office person.Having no direction from anyone familiar with how this business is ran makes things difficult but I believe in this company & where there is a will,there is a way!

Thank you kindly to all that's replied! I really appreciate it!

• 7. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                      philmodjunk

It's not really that difficult and a change you need only make once--where what you are doing, though easier is something that you have to do over and over again, can undermine user confidence in the database, and risks the sending of incorrect data if someone gets in a hurry and fails to edit the text of the email.

• 8. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                        mattel

I'll second the undermining of confidence in a system.

It's crucial that people trust the system in place to help them make their job easier, not get in the way. 

Fixing this script will take 5 minutes - assuming someone knows which script it is.

adding a signature field to another table also would be very quick.

• 9. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                          ren

How can I find the script?

• 10. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                            philmodjunk

What do you do to send the email? If you click a button on that layout, you can simply:

Enter layout mode

double click the button

Click the script icon followed by selecting "edit" from the gear icon.

The steps are similar if a script trigger performs the script

ButtonScript.png

But if you don't know how to find the script, do you know enough to change it in order to fix this issue?

• 11. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                              ren

ok when a contract Ive prepared on FMP 15 is ready to be emailed I click EMAIL on FMP then a EMAIL OPTIONS popup appears asking if its a contract or reciept. I click contract & another EMAIL OPTIONS popup appears asking if I want to send it as a link or attachment. I click ATTACHMENT & my Go Daddy email opens with a pretyped email on it with the contract attached already as an attachment. (See screenshot) Then I add the customers name in it and change the address at the end of the email & click send on my go daddy email browser just like I send any email not related to FMP

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 2.31.37 PM.png

• 12. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                                ren

on FMP There is a drop down menu titled scripts (see screenshot)

Screen Shot 2017-02-13 at 2.39.26 PM.png

• 13. Re: Editing email sent to customers?
                                  philmodjunk

You start your "drill down" here:

I click EMAIL on FMP

what exactly did you click? You may have clicked a button. You may have clicked a popover button. I suppose it might even be a value in a value list if you stretch the term "clicked" only a little bit. All I have is the above text and that's not much to go on.

Enter layout mode and double click it. what happens? It will either open into a popover with the options that you mentioned or you'll get a button setup dialog--unless it is something more unusual....