5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2017 11:23 AM by philmodjunk

Jpeg images not showing up from host

projay

Using FM 15 Adv

I have a host computer with images in a folder when I log into my host from outside the local network I don't see my jpegs.  When I'm in the local network then all images are visible. Also can't see it from Fm Go either.

Note that the images are referenced.

Thanks - Jay

• 1. Re: Jpeg images not showing up from host
          philmodjunk

This was a common complaint several versions ago. The users can't "get to" the shared folder with the image files.

And this is one of the reasons why we now have External Storage as an option. Container fields with that option will make the images visible to clients outside the LAN and on GO.

• 2. Re: Jpeg images not showing up from host
            projay

So will this require creating another filemaker file and all the jpeg images stored in that file?

• 3. Re: Jpeg images not showing up from host
              philmodjunk

No that would not be necessary. You will need to read up on the differences on external storage vs "by reference". FileMaker Help is one place to start, but you just need a container field with external storage specified. Not sure off the top of my head what will happen if you just change the field's storage options with a bunch of reference files in the container fields. It should copy the files over for you, but might bog your system down while it does this.

Wonder if it might be safer to define a new field with external storage and use a looping script to move the files from old to new field?

Anybody else who might be reading this have an opinion on that?

• 4. Re: Jpeg images not showing up from host
                projay

Well Phil I got this working. Nice feature. Just a note or two about this.

1. When you copy and paste into the container field it does add another file which is a wmf file and it is larger than the the new "super big mac". Copy and paste is pretty convenient... Not sure if there is a work around that.

2. Script using "insert picture". This methods creates a separate file as well but at least it's a small jpeg.  So it takes the original file and adds "_1"at the end o of the file name.  Maybe because my original picture is in the same folder as my inserted one.

Thanks.  -jay

• 5. Re: Jpeg images not showing up from host
                  philmodjunk

"1. When you copy and paste into the container field it does add another file which is a wmf file and it is larger than the the new "super big mac". "

This happens with any pasted graphic, the clipboard converts it into a windows meta-file as I understand it. Pasting onto the layout while while in layout mode also pastes a meta-file.

"Maybe because my original picture is in the same folder as my inserted one."

Exactly, when you insert a file into a container with external storage, FileMaker exports the file to the specified location and updates the container with a reference to the new copy of the file. File names are modified as needed to avoid overwritng existing files.

Note that the container field references the new copy, not the original.