1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 9:57 PM by taylorsharpe

A rank beginners Question:)

Kookaburra308

I have around 5,000 voice memo's, each one stored as an individual  record in FileMaker Pro 12. Each voice file has been transcribed to text, and has then been assigned a category. As I am nearing the end of this part of the task that involves a matter of significant public interest, I know I am now going to have to learn how to sort the records so I can access the ones relevant to the public interest case. Records relating to "Constitution" have been assigned that category. How do I create a sub-set of the 5,000 records that contain only the "Constitution" records?

Regards

Anthony J. Hudson

• 1. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
          SteveMartino

If Constitution is a category, do a search for constitution.

Edit:  typo

• 3. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
            taylorsharpe

Above your data in the FM window should be the Status bar.  If it is not displayed, go to the VIEW pull down and turn on the Status bar.  In the Status bar is both the Find and Sort buttons to help you find and sort all of the data.  Also useful is control-J (or command-J on Mac) to show all records after you made a found set and want to go back to seeing all records. 

Untitled-1.png

• 4. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
              coherentkris

ps we dont rank beginners : )

• 5. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                Kookaburra308

Hi Steve,

I'll see if I can put your advise to use. But I wasn't kidding about the Rank bit:-) So all help is appreciated.

A. J. Hudson

• 6. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                  Kookaburra308

Hi Kris,

There is no shortage of things for me to learn re FileMaker, only a shortage of time. Appreciate your help.

Regards

A. H.

• 7. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                    Kookaburra308

Ps I guess the word "rank" has a few different meanings hey lol

• 8. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                      Kookaburra308

Hi Taylor.

Thank you for your reply. If the gold medal went on detail, I reckon you'd be standing on top of the podium. Jokes aside, I'm a novice, so I've taken a photo of your advice with my iPad and I'll give it a shot as soon as I am able. Thank you for your help. Have to say I'm surprised at the speed of response. This is obviously a fairly active community, and a fairly Apple-centric one as well?

Thanks again

A. J. Hudson

• 9. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                        Kookaburra308

Hi Taylor,

Just thought I should provide a brief update. When I've finished translating the last voice mails, I will use Time-Machine to create a duplicate of my MacBook Pro on a second MacBook Pro. Then I'll test your method and let you know how I go.

Thanks for your input

Regards

Anthony Hudson

• 10. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                          twelvetens

Be aware that using Time Machine to backup your machine whilst you have the file open in Filemaker is not a good idea. A Filemaker Database file is liable to be corrupted if a backup process tries to 'touch' it whilst Filemaker has it open.

In general, backups should only be made from files which are not open or in use. Filemaker Server allows you to generate automated backups which can then be backed up using whatever tool you wish.

• 11. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                            Kookaburra308

Hi James,

Thank you for that information. I have been doing Time Machine backups with FileMaker open on the desktop. I haven’t run in to a problem that I’m aware of, but that may be because I’ve not had a particular record open at that time. In future, just to be extra careful, I will close the program before I perform a backup. Thank you again. I’ll post this reply on the FileMaker Community site.

Regards

Anthony Hudson

• 12. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                              Kookaburra308

Hi James,

Thank you for that information. I have been doing Time Machine backups with FileMaker open on the desktop. I haven’t run in to a problem that I’m aware of, but that may be because I’ve not had a particular record open at that time. In future, just to be extra careful, I will close the program before I perform a backup. Thank you again. I’ll post this reply on the FileMaker Community site.

Regards

Anthony Hudson

• 13. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                                Kookaburra308

Hi Kris,

I had to flip a coin as to which answer was "Correct" because you and Taylor were both correct. I preferred your answer for simplicity, and Taylor's for detail that would have come in handy if I had wandered further off the track than I did. So I flipped a coin. Despite the result, or because of it, I hope this exchange of information half way round the globe gives you a good feeling. As you may have guessed from the Kookaburra bit, I live in Australia. But the public interest legal case that I am working on, will not just effect Australia. Americans might not know it, but my ancestors borrowed quite heavily from your Constitution when we wrote ours. And "The Deep State" exploit a mutual weakness in both Constitutions to the beyond significant detriment of Main Street. So, your help is not only very much appreciated, it has also been in a good cause.

Hope the sun shine is bright in your part of the world.

Regards

Anthony J. Hudson

• 14. Re: A rank beginners Question:)
                                  Kookaburra308

Hi Taylor,

Thanks to you I can access the relevant voice memo's. However, having FM collect all the relevant records gets me to my next problem. I would like to be able to listen to the relevant ones and have FM play them for me in the same way that a CD player plays one song after another on a selected CD. I know this is a much more difficult question than my first question. I am aware that it will involve a plugin. So far, the most promising one I have come across is SimpleSound from a European company called 24u. If you have any thoughts or guidance on this it would be appreciated.

Regards

Anthony J. Hudson

1 2 Previous Next