1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2017 8:20 AM by philmodjunk

unwanted deletion of fields

vm1

Hi there,

I've noticed that when I quit FM and shut down the computer, the data in one particular field of any record I was last on gets deleted. How can I stop this from happening? Before I close FM15, all the data I've entered is visible for any record I'm working on, however, when I reopen to the  record I was last editing then it is always the same field that is left blank even though I haven't deleted any data in that field

• 1. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
          coherentkris

Is it defined as global storage?

• 2. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
            philmodjunk

You are describing behavior not typical for FileMaker. FileMaker automatically saves data. So you'll need to investigate causes carefully.

Presumably you are not force quitting FileMaker? (have to ask the obvious)

Could that field have global storage where this file is hosted from another computer?

Might be a script trigger doing something that clears the field. Quitting FileMaker can trip a host of script triggers:

OnObjectExit

OnObjectSave

OnObjectValidate

OnWindowClose

OnLastWindowClose

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you might enable the script trigger and quit FileMaker. If any triggers are tripped, their scripts will appear in the debugger and you can step through them to see if any might be at fault here.

• 3. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
              TSPigeon

vm1:

Thank you for your post!

It sounds like the data you enter into that last field is not being committed. If you were still in the field and the application was closed abruptly then the data may have simply not been saved (committed). You might verify you have clicked out of the field, closed the file, or some method of committing data before you close FileMaker and allow the machine to shutdown.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                vm1

Thanks for your help!

After reading all the comments I think the issue is due to the fact the filemaker is force quitting itself as 'it needs to connect to a server.' At the moment it is not recognising the IP address so I am unable to connect to the server and consequently it has been force quitting. I assume once this is fixed then I won't have the problem of data loss in the latest record opened

• 5. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                  philmodjunk

If you simply click a blank area of the layout, your latest changes will be committed and it will be safe even to force quit FileMaker (as far as this data loss is concerned at least).

• 6. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                    vm1

Ah great!

Thanks Phil!

• 7. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                      vm1

Hi philmodjunk and TSPigeon,

I have noticed that I am still having the same issue ....that data in one specific field always automatically deletes itself in list view when the "down" arrow on the keyboard gets pressed.

I know you said that it is not typical of filemaker however this is happening whilst filemaker is running. It is not force quitting itself and even when I click out of the field (to commit the data in form view) when I am in list view and scroll down @then that field will delete.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks

• 8. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                        wimdecorte

It was mentioned before to check for any script triggers.  So have the script debugger open as you click the down arrow and see if a script runs.

Also double-check how the field is defined, perhaps it has an auto-enter calc or a lookup that results in no value.

Those would trigger by going to a new record, because that commits the record that you were on.

• 9. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                          vm1

thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I don't have a script debugger and I can't see anything in the script triggers that would be causing this issue.

The field is not an auto-enter calc nor is there a lookup that is specified. Do you have any other suggestions as to why this field is deleting the data when scrolled via the keyboard down arrow?

• 10. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                            philmodjunk

Go into layout set up and check for script triggers there.

Get a copy of Advanced and use the debugger--you need it anyway.

Try testing this on a brand new layout. Do not copy any objects from the current layout to your new test layout. This checks for any layout based issues--both corruption and triggers.

Recover your file and test the recovered copy--on both original and test layouts.

• 11. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                              alquimby

How is this particular field defined? Any auto enter calculations? What happens if you put the cursor in another field before closing?

• 12. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                                vm1

Hi Allen,

Sorry for the belated response.

There aren't any auto calculations, values for this text field. It isn't defined as a global field but it is set as indexed. Even if I put the cursor in another field that field is not affected.

This is only occurring if I scroll down in list view. Whichever record is highlighted/or has been last viewed will lose the data is this particular field.

• 13. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                                  alquimby

If you change to Form view when on this particular record, what do you see in that field?

Any chance that field on the List layout has conditional formatting that changes the text color to match its background after the data has been entered?

• 14. Re: unwanted deletion of fields
                                    philmodjunk

Did you ever try these suggested tests?

Try testing this on a brand new layout. Do not copy any objects from the current layout to your new test layout. This checks for any layout based issues--both corruption and triggers.

Recover your file and test the recovered copy--on both original and test layouts.

1 2 Previous Next