1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 8:37 AM by TSGal

PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra

kmadison

Product and version (FileMaker Pro 15.0.3.305)

OS and version Mac OS Sierra (10.12 I think)

Browser and version (for WebDirect only) NA

Hardware 2016 & 2017 MacBook Pro

Description I have a custom solution on a server that has a container field that displays PDFs. Among the several of us accessing the hosted file, the PDFs are storing in the field but will not display in Mac Sierra. It just displays as a blank white field. The same PDF will display in Yosemite though (10.10).

How to replicate NA

Workaround (if any) NA

• 1. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
          TSGal

kmadison:

Thank you for your post.

Is the Container field set for Interactive content?  Or, are you inserting the PDF as a picture?

Are you able to create a new record and insert a PDF?  If so, are you able to view it?  Are others able to view it?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
            kmadison

Thanks for the reply! It's a related database (for storing documents related to a media collection). No trouble creating it. I want PDFs to be interactive (that box is checked in the Inspector) so that people can copy text in PDFs created from Word docs. No trouble inserting the PDF. I can view it using Mac OS 10.10, but some of my colleagues are in Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) and they are not able to see it…though they can load/insert the documents. Since I can see the same doc that they cannot, makes me think it's related to the OS. Make sense?

• 3. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
              TSGal

kmadison:

Thank you for the additional information.

When you say, "...they (macOS Sierra 10.12.x colleagues) can load/insert the documents", it's not clear if they can then view them after inserting.

Are the colleagues able to view the PDFs via Safari?  Preview?

When they double-click on a PDF, does it launch Preview?  Some version of Adobe Reader?  (If so, what version?)

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                kmadison

"they/collegues" cannot view them after inserting, even if they themselves insert it. Good question about other ways to view pdfs… I only have preview, but everyone else (including one guy who CAN view the pdfs) also has some form of Acrobat (Reader/Pro). From one person who cannot view, I exported the pdf and opened it with Reader and Pro and Preview. No problem viewing in any of those apps…just in my container layout. here's a screen shot from my screen followed by a screenshot from one of the ones who cannot view it.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 12.17.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-16 at 5.59.27 PM.png

• 5. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                  TSGal

kmadison:

Thank you for the additional information and screen shots.

Temporarily create a new layout, add the existing Container field to the layout, format the Container field for Interactive content, and go to Browse.  Does the PDF display?

If the PDF still does not display, remove the existing Container field from the new layout, create a new Container field in Manage Database, add the new Container field to the new layout, format the field for Interactive content, go to Browse Mode, select the new Container field, pull down the Insert menu and select PDF, and insert one of the PDFs.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                    kmadison

Hi,

Made a new layout with the same container field. When I went to that page on one of my Sierra folks, I got some kind of Keychain permissions dialogue. Unfortunately I didn’t take a screen shot of it, but it said something like, “Filemaker wants permission to XXX,” with the usual permissions choices of ALWAYS ALLOW, NEVER ALLOW, and ALLOW ONCE. I clicked ALLOW ALWAYS and that one seems to be fine now.

Did the same thing with my second Sierra user using the same procedure, and I got the dialogue below (screenshot) about looking for an Adobe product. And that dialogue comes up each time we try to open any layout with that container field. I clicked the Reader app and the doc was visible. However, next time I tried to go back to the container field, it asked again.

So it’s fixed with one person, but not the other. I’m getting there I think, but I still need help

Kent Madison

• 7. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                      TSGal

kmadison:

Thank you for the additional information.

If the second user is always prompted for an Adobe product, start by removing the two AdobePDFViewer plugins:

[Hard Disk] -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins -> AdobePDFViewer.plugin

[Hard Disk] -> Library -> Internet Plug-Ins -> AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Reboot the computer, launch FileMaker Pro, and try again.

If the issue still occurs, remove Adobe Reader, and download a fresh copy of Adobe Reader.  This will also install new copies of the AdobePDFViewer plugins.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                        kmadison

Thanks…I’ll check on it next week. She’s gone for the week

Appreciate all the walk-through help! Will let you know if that fixes it.

Kent Madison

• 9. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                          TopRope

I am having the same problem.  I would like to add that not only does the container fail, but displaying the PDF in a webviewer window produces the same error.  Here is a screenshot of the error:

pdferror.JPG

We are running PC's working on Win7 and Win10.

This happens on all my clients - 50+

We are running FM Pro v15.0.3, FMPro Adv v15.0.3.

This problem is really slowing things down.  Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Dave

• 10. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                            kmadison

Does seem to be some loss of seamlessness as to how FMP interacts with pdfs (finding the reader program), which for me seems to be a permissions issue at least.

• 11. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                              TSGal

TopRope:

An Interactive Container and a WebViewer are identical as they both use the operating system WebKit to display content.

Does the PDF display in Internet Explorer?

Does the PDF display Adobe Acrobat Reader?  If so, what version?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                                kmadison

Dumping these plug-ins and restarting fixed it for me!

• 13. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                                  TopRope

The PDF will open in Internet Explorer.  It displays in Acrobat.  The acrobat ver is XI.  We did not have this problem in FMPro 13.   Intermittent in FMPro 14. Acrobat 8 and 9 were no problem.

Toprope

• 14. Re: PDF not displaying with FMP15 in Mac Sierra
                                    TSGal

TopRope:

You don't mention FileMaker Server in your description, so is it safe to assume that the "50+" clients are all running their own copy of the solution locally?  If not, what version of FileMaker Server is being used, and what operating system is the server.

If the file is hosted, are you able to reproduce the issue when using the file locally?

If you create a new database file with a Container field formatted for Interactive Content, are you able to reproduce the issue?

I know you stated that the machines are all running Windows 7 and Windows 10.  Do you notice if the issue occurs under one operating system more than another?  Are there any Macs in the office, and if so, does the issue also occur?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next