1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 11:31 AM by bburdeen

Archiving records - deleting originals

bburdeen

Looking for some direction on archiving records. I have 2 tables; Table1 and Table1Archive. What I’d like to see happen is for a user to be able to check a box on different records. This check box would be labeled something like “Purge and Archive.” After going through and marking the records for ‘purge and archive’ the user would click a button that would copy these records into Table1Archive and then delete/purge them from Table1.

We see Table1 expanding in such a way that we would not even want to filter archived orders. We just want them out of the way, accessible from a different layout if needed.

What is the best way to manage this?

• 1. Re: Archiving records - deleting originals
          bburdeen

Found something on the inter-webs that works locally, just not sure if it’ll work on a server. I’ll have to test, of course.

Set Error Capture [On]

AllowUser Abort [OFF]

Go to Layout [ “Table1” (Layout1) ]

Perform Find [ Restore ] //Looking for records that have a field checked where field=X

If [ Get ( LastError )> 0 ] //checking for no finds

Exit Script [ ]

Go to Layout [ “Table1Archive” (ArchiveLayout) ]

Show All Records

Import Records { No Dialog ; “Filemakerapp.fmp12” ; Add; Mac Roman ] //This is what I’ll have to test on the server — the path

Go to Layout { “Table1” (Layout1) ]

Perform Find [ Restore ] //Looking for records that have a field checked where field=X

Delete All Records [ No dialog ]