9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 6:58 PM by philmodjunk

top navigation

sstpierre

Is it ok to use Top Navigation part as a replacement of Body part to avoid this anoying ipadish Rubber Band bounce

to have a sleek real professional window as a real GUI.

Is there any caveat, bad side, on refresh layout, script or somthing strange that FMP will produce !!!

Is there a enable/disable state check box for layout elements?

Don't tell me that we have in 2017 to create two element and put them on top and play with the format and hide one of them and delete it's script call, just to produce an disabled state???

tx

• 1. Re: top navigation
          Philip_Jaffe

I'm not sure I would agree that "professional" = no elasticity, but that's neither here nor there.

Can you say more about what "state" of layout elements you wish to enable/disable?

As for using the TopNavigation part as a substitute for the body part, I've never tried that so I'm not sure.  Experiment and tell us what you find.

If I were to guess at potential problems, I would say you might run into issues when rotating from portrait to landscape if you are using re-size anchors, but likely not.

You likely would not be able to zoom in out with pinch gesture, but most people lock the zoom anyway at 100% on "professional" iOS layouts.

• 2. Re: top navigation
            arjen.evertse

There is no disabled state as a function.

I prefer to avoid script execution that should by avoided from within the script by either putting all code in an if statement that does not validate if certain condition is met or start with and if statement that checks for the 'disabled state condition' and use exit script at start.

This is will make sure no damage is done if for whatever reason you hide condition did not validate after something changed (some cases it doesnt without a refresh window / portal / object. It will also work on triggered scripts and gives you an opportunity to show a dialog if necessary to tell the user why the script won't run.

You could combine with conditional formatting to get visual disabled state.

About the top navigation as a body, it will probably work but top navigation does have some different behaviors. Most important probably is that if you somehow design bigger than the screen size it is going to be used with things get cropped and out of reach. No scrolling will be allowed on this part.

• 3. Re: top navigation
              philmodjunk

You basically have two options:

arjen.evertse has just described one.

The other is to use Hide Object When to make the disabled control disappear altogether.

Which is best depends more on the over all design of your UI than anything else.

Example:

If I have a portal with "allow create" enabled and put a trash can button for deleting portal rows into the portal row, it makes sense to use hide object when to make the button disappear on the bottom "add row" of the portal.

If I have a button that should only be clicked after the user has completed several other tasks with the current data, I'd want the button visible, but signaling a disabled state by "greying out" the label so that the user knows that the button does exist, but that they need to take care of some other things before they can tap it to perform its script.

• 4. Re: top navigation
                sstpierre

Good!

I do check via script.

But we need that "greying out" object right out the box !!

It sad to create the whole thing via conditionnal formating and hidding (with a fake "greying out" object on top...)

I too like, as phil said, having a disabled state btn for visual. Maybe for Christmas FMP gone a give us reel IDE

Tools...

And tx for the clue on Top Nav, I just need a plain and fixed layout as the main GUI in form view

but hate this ugly rubber band as it tangle everything and well... If Apple and the Software industrie follows this

stupid and economic way of doing one OS for every platform and put device standard features to desktop OS

what is going to be tomorrow? (We won't be able to Cut and Paste !!!

• 5. Re: top navigation
                  arjen.evertse

sstpierre wrote:

But we need that "greying out" object right out the box !!

It's always nice to have things out of the box, but every platform / package comes with it's own set of features and impossibilities. From my experience the is little to none that can't be somehow produced with FileMaker.

sstpierre wrote:

If Apple and the Software industrie follows this

stupid and economic way of doing one OS for every platform and put device standard features to desktop OS

what is going to be tomorrow? (We won't be able to Cut and Paste !!!

I assume you are seeing this behavior on Mac, I haven't seen this on Windows. Same story, everything has pro's and con's. You don't like the rubber band effect, I'm forced to develop for Windows (company standards) and need to avoid more than one window at a time cause of SDI and users don't understand the main window can't be maximized if any other window is open on top of it. Difficult? For sure it makes things more complicated, but certainly doable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: top navigation
                    Philip_Jaffe

MonkeyBread has a couple functions in it free plug-in called Window.Scrollbar.SetScrollElasticity and its companion Window.Scrollbar.GetScrollElasticity which allow you to turn off the "rubber-banding" effect in the active window.  Don't know if it is applicable to iOS, but worth a look.

Monkeybread Software - MBS FileMaker Plugin: Window.Scrollbar.SetScrollElasticity

My only complaint about it is that it does for some reason disable the ScriptWorkspace's syntax coloring.  If you can live with that, then it might be a good trade-off for you.

• 7. Re: top navigation
                      philmodjunk

It sad to create the whole thing via conditionnal formating and hidding (with a fake "greying out" object on top...)

You don't need to put any object on top to show it as "greyed out". The button object itself can change appearance to indicate that clicking it will not do anything.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: top navigation
                        sstpierre

Ok! you mean after a condition is met the formating does the gui jobs and in your script you simply ignore it or output a dialog ?

Yes ok, but the btn stil act and your limited in the format choice, but it's a start. We can ask for more, don't we...

I'm sure they are not only 3 part time dev at Filemaker Pro, even if it's an Apple div, they can give what their client need

to compete...

But it's more for the rules; you propose a tool, but with lots of rounded corner. An IDE is an IDE.

They did a lot since 13, for gui, and a lot in 14 for dev whiz, not so much in 15. But we stil lack a lot of what make a dev tool a dev tool. Dynamic refs for tables/layout and better editing ways for dev guys.

anyway have a beer on that !!

tx phil and have a nice wkd.

• 9. Re: top navigation
                          philmodjunk

I was just pointing out that you don't need two objects. I quite agree that a "disabled" state would be quite handy. Keep in mind that others read these threads, I was correcting a small misstatement to help others avoid a needless complication to their design.