3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 9:19 AM by Markus Schneider

Backups

garry107

I know this is silly, but how do I create backups in filemaker pro advanced 12.

Thanks,

garry

• 1. Re: Backups
          Philip_Jaffe

Are you hosting the file via Filemaker Server, or is it a local copy you wish to back up?

• 2. Re: Backups
            PeterDoern

You don't specify if you're working on a hosted file or not; if it's hosted on server, you have to set up a Backup Schedule on the server via the Server Admin Console.

When I'm working on my own on an offline (nonhosted) file, my procedure is this:

1. Keep all project files in a single folder named PROJECTNAME yyyy mm dd xNNN where NNN is the current "build" number. I start with 001.

2. Before I start working I archive the folder, then I increment the NNN number.

3. As I work I frequently close all files, archive the folder and increment the NNN number.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Backups
              Markus Schneider

in addition to the other answers, if You are not on FileMaker Server, You can save a compressed copy by script to a specific folder. That would be the backup

- You could also zip that file/folder using plugins

- You could create an OnTimerScript to get that automatically

- etc

When working on local files, I personally do backups manually after changes, naming the folder with the file(s) something like MySolution_20170217_21h15, to get a date that can be sorted by name

I got a keyboard maestro macro for the naming - although we do most of our work on FileMaker Server...

1 of 1 people found this helpful