8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 6:21 AM by beverly

Filemaker GO multiple devices same user

rudihoremans

One of our solutions uses iphones to scan EAN barcodes, with a lot of scripting in background to insert the scanned barcode in the correct tables and fields. NO problems with that.

There is a dedicated account for the iphone devices. As the actual users often switch the device they are using (dependig on location), all Filemaker GO instances on the iphones use the same FileMaker account.

Problem however is, if several users are scanning barcodes at the same time (with different iphones, but using the same account name) there are conflicts, as Filemaker GO on iphone two shows what's happening on iphone one.

Is GO not session based ? Or what am I not seeing ?

• 1. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
          rgordon

You need to do something that makes each iPhone unique or each session unique. If two users log into the server with the same account and you allow access to records by their account both users will have access to each others data. You could use something like get(persistentid) to identify the phone. Or generate a session id at login using Get(uuid)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
            wimdecorte

rudihoremans wrote:

As the actual users often switch the device they are using (dependig on location), all Filemaker GO instances on the iphones use the same FileMaker account.

This may be the fault in your thinking.  A user should have an account, not a device.  The fact that one user can connect from multiple devices does not matter; it is always the same user and the user (not the device) needs to be authenticated.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
              rudihoremans

As always, in an ideal world with disciplined users who don't mind to enter user name and password every time they change location or switch device, this is correct. In our thinking, we thought to simplify matters, but in fact we complicated the whole thing.

I therefore created now as many accounts as there are iPhones used to scan bacordes. I have called in all devices and re-entered xx users and passwords for auto login. Users are redirected via startup script to an interface layout for scanning the barcodes, that jumpstarts then the scripts to import the scanned barcodes in the correct tables.

I don't intend to start a discussion on this matter, but would it be that difficult for FileMaker Server to authenticate automatically the device and run scripts within the workspace of the device instead of the workspace of the user?

• 4. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
                wimdecorte

rudihoremans wrote:

I therefore created now as many accounts as there are iPhones used to scan bacordes.

That does not sound right.  Why not just have accounts for the people instead of the devices?  That way nobody needs to remember the account for the device they pick up, that cuts down significantly on the 'inconvenience' factor of the security.

• 5. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
                  wimdecorte

rudihoremans wrote:

I don't intend to start a discussion on this matter, but would it be that difficult for FileMaker Server to authenticate automatically the device and run scripts within the workspace of the device instead of the workspace of the user?

That would reduce security to only "what you have" (the device) instead of "who you are - by what you know proxy" (your personal account credentials).  If a device is ever lost or stolen that would automatically let whoever holds the device into your solution.  That can't be good.

• 6. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
                    rudihoremans

Perhaps I was not clear. Each iPhone is only used to scan barcodes. No other access to the datebase is allowed, all layouts, menus, etc are blocked. In this case device = user. I have therefore 6 different devices = 6 different users (with very limited privileges: data entry only in one (intermediate) table - the script later uses these data to fill in the data in the correct tables; no other layouts acessible but the user interface (with two input fields: identification code of production - field "insert from device" where the scanned EAN barcode goes as text.

Hope this makes sense. Hard to explain in writing.

• 7. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
                      rudihoremans

That would reduce security to only "what you have" (the device) instead of "who you are - by what you know proxy" (your personal account credentials).  If a device is ever lost or stolen that would automatically let whoever holds the device into your solution.  That can't be good.

I was rather thinking of a combination: workspace = device + user.

• 8. Re: Filemaker GO multiple devices same user
                        beverly

And you can capture (auto-enter?)

Account Name

(As logged in)

>Name

(Device or preference name)

I always capture both for creation and modification on every record.

Sent from miPhone