6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 2:34 PM by nickel

AWS EC2 Instance Size

nickel

Hey,

Anyone got any advice about what Amazon Web Services instance size works well for a set number of connections. Wondering how big an instance I should go for if wanted to run webdirect clients of say 50 connections and be interested to know for 100 too!

Any advice appreciated.

Nick

• 1. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
          wimdecorte

Virtually impossible to say since it all depends on the design and nature of the solution.  Do you currently have an FMS and if so do you have the stats log turned on?   That would give you a baseline to use.

For WebDirect you'd need a second machine for sure and a pretty beefy one, have a look at the minimum specs on the FMI website and then use the AWS calculator to look at the various instances and their cost.

Your # of projected webdirect users means you can't use FM Cloud but need to go with a full Windows AWS server set.

• 2. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
            nickel

thanks, yeah i know, I was kinda just wondering what size people have used in the past and how it performed. I realise its very solution dependant.

Does the first machine need to be the same as the second or can the machine with server on be fairly basic and the webdirect one be the beefy one?

I'm just trying to work out what out roughly what might work ok.

Ive looked at the FMS specs but interestingly Ive tried a third party Filemaker Hosting company in the past with 20 users and their server was no where near the recommended spec but work fine (with just a single machine)! I realise 50/100 makes a difference though.

• 3. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
              nickel

and yes, I have an fms with the solution on and about 15 users..any pointers to which stats i should look at and how to translate that to which tier to look at

• 4. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
                wimdecorte

nickel wrote:

and yes, I have an fms with the solution on and about 15 users..any pointers to which stats i should look at and how to translate that to which tier to look at

All of them really because they cover the 4 typical bottlenecks:

- processing power

- disk i/o

- memory

- network throughput

The last two are very easy to solve  in most cases on the server side.  Limited control over the user-side sometimes for network speeds and latency.

What you'd be looking for is seeing whether there is some pressure on any of the 4 and where it comes from in relation to how it is currently deployed.

• 5. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
                  wimdecorte

nickel wrote:

thanks, yeah i know, I was kinda just wondering what size people have used in the past and how it performed. I realise its very solution dependant.

Does the first machine need to be the same as the second or can the machine with server on be fairly basic and the webdirect one be the beefy one?

The db engine server does typically not need to be as beefy as a webdirect machine that has to be able to server 100 concurrent users.  But those 100 concurrent users will all hit the db server too so it should be no slouch.  Again, most of the decision will be based on the design and nature of the user interaction with the data.

• 6. Re: AWS EC2 Instance Size
                    nickel

thanks for the info.