5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2017 11:01 AM by beverly

Tom T

RickWells-Cole

If I have a 3 records with

"Tom A"

"Tom T"

"Tom Z"

find " Tom A" finds one record, find "Tom T" finds all 3 records, find "Tom Z" finds one record

Only the word Tom T (which my client happens to use a lot ) behaves like this?? Any ideas

• 1. Re: Tom T
          Philip_Jaffe

Find searches the word index.  When you enter Tom T, it will find Tom, and all words beginning with T, so that is why you are getting three records.

Try =Tom T

Edit:

Sorry...Typo

==Tom T

or

"Tom T"

• 2. Re: Tom T
            schamblee

It appears you are not using quotes in your search as stated in your post.  Tom T will find 3 records "Tom T" with quotes will find 1 record.

• 3. Re: Tom T
              Philip_Jaffe

Take a look at the find operators to see the possibilities available to you:Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 10.54.16 AM.png

• 4. Re: Tom T
                RickWells-Cole

Yes of course thanks for the reminder, I thought something odd was going on, client pressure and all that. I know about the "==" but don't normally use quotes, so thanks for that and the swift replies

• 5. Re: Tom T
                  beverly

FileMaker default search is "begins-with" on any word in the field. Add to that, the AND find you have (words separated by space). Then you know why you got your results.

Aside: the order of the AND search don't matter.

So

A T

would have also given you

Tom A

There are several 'wildcards' that can assist with the searches.

== is exact, for example &

Quoting  puts your space into the phrase so ignores the AND search for two values. It searches (still begins-with) for the phrase.

"Tom T"

May also find

Tom Thumb

Enjoy!

Sent from miPhone