3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 3:33 AM by vttillinghast

Import Records to Filemaker Server from FM Go

vttillinghast

I have several iPad clients periodically without internet access using the same master database. This sits on a Filemaker Server. The clients are able to download the records they need to work with that day, but after they've modified records, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get those records back up to the master server. I'd rather not create a separate export document that needs to be pushed to the server and then read, but rather do a direct import.

I would like to be able to create a script on the FM Go client side that would push the data back up to the server. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks! -tig

• 1. Re: Import Records to Filemaker Server from FM Go
          dsvail

look at a syncing solution like GoZync (Geist Interactive) ;  MirrorSync (360Works),  EasySync (Tim Dietrich)

• 2. Re: Import Records to Filemaker Server from FM Go
            Markus Schneider

If synchronizing is Your task, there are some (commercial and free) sync-tools available. Implementing costs some time (and money if not freeware).

There is also a 'sync guide'

FileMaker Sync Guide - http://www.filemaker.com/de/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf

A one-way sync, means pushing records from FMGo to a Server, is quite simple

- a separate file for syncing would be good, since the host file should not be opened while working on the Go file...

- it's not an import from Go, it's a script that writes records with the data from Go to server via relationship

- there is also a way where You gather the data-to-send via sql in a variable and send that 'payload' to the server (several ways, mail, url, etc) and process the payload with a script on the server

- etc

a 2-way-sync becomes more complicated...

• 3. Re: Import Records to Filemaker Server from FM Go
              vttillinghast

Markus, thanks for those points. A couple questions:

1- In my experimentation, I did indeed have the Go front end opening up the server file. You seem to indicate this isn't a good practice. Could you elaborate on that?

2- Could you point to an example of "writing records with the data from Go to server via relationship"? I'm unfamiliar with this method, and would like to learn more about that.

3- The records I'm dealing with involve many hundreds of fields and about a dozen tables. Importing directly from a Filemaker file would be much better than exporting data in any form and importing that data subsequently. If it must be done, fine, but it would be useful in this instance to avoid those steps.

Thanks for your help!