12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2017 8:00 AM by user12413

Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath

user12413

I am working on creating PDF invoice packages using a combination of FM generated reports and PDF's of invoices that I have saved in an interactive container field.  I have been able to create the package I need (see note below) with single-page invoices using Save Records as PDF [Restore ; Append ; With Dialog: Off ; $DeskTopPath ; current record ].  However, when the PDF'd invoice is a multi-page document, I cannot save more than the first page of that invoice to the combined PDF file.  My input container field holding invoices is set to interactive and I can view the full invoice - all pages - on-screen.   (I am inserting the invoice into the database, ie not using file path)

Am I doing something wrong or is Filemaker unable to export multi-page PDF documents?  I have read several discussions have had this same problem but am not sure there was a resolution.  I would appreciate any help in fixing this, whether it's an explanation of how to do it in Filemaker, or what external software / plug-ins can be used.

NOTE: Thru a script I am creating a cover memo, a summary of the contract invoicing, and a cumulative detail report out of Filemaker that precede the invoice or invoices.  The invoices are received in our office in PDF format from vendors - we have no control over that.

• 1. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
          siplus

user12413 wrote:

what external software / plug-ins can be used.

MBS plugin with DynaPDF will probably fulfill any wishes you might have about PDFs.

• 2. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
            philmodjunk

First think that I'd check is whether those stored PDF options specify saving only the first page.

• 3. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
              user12413

You mean in the Script Step Save Records as PDF?  Yes, under Specify Options I have it set to Save Current Records, Options Include All Pages

• 4. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                user12413

I have seen that particular plug-in mentioned in a post.  I will probably go that route if it can't be accomplished thru Filemaker itself.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• 5. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                  philmodjunk

Is this what you are doing?

You have PDF in container on a layout and you save as PDF from that layout?

That won't work. Print, Preview, Save As PDF would all only show the first page.

• 6. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                    user12413

Well that makes sense since Adobe will not let you print a PDF of a PDF (although it will allow you to save a PDF as a PDF).

So is there another way to append these multi-page PDF documents in a container field to another PDF document thru Filemaker?  Sounds like there isn't.  Up to now we have been creating a PDF with reports for each vendor, and then dragging an invoice into the document after each vendor's report.  Since there are multiple vendors (with multiple reports and invoices - sometimes hundreds of pages), this is very time-consuming and error-prone.  Am trying to automate.

• 7. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                      philmodjunk

Print a PDF from a PDF is not a problem. Printing from the layout where you have placed a container can only produce a result showing a single Page. It's like putting a webviewer on a layout and expecting to print from a page not currently visible in the viewer. (And interactive containers are really webviewers".

The only way to do this from FileMaker without a plug in is to produce a new PDF from FileMaker and append that file as part of the save.

• 8. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                        user12413

Got it.  Well, since the invoices in question are created and sent by multiple other companies (already in PDF or paper format), producing from Filemaker in this case is not really an option.  Looks like I'll have to go the plug-in way.

Thanks for the answer!

• 9. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                          philmodjunk

Note, however, that you can export that PDF and append a FileMaker PDF to the end of it.

• 10. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                            user12413

I think my biggest impediment is order.  Your suggestion would be great under other circumstances but unless I’m totally misunderstanding (very, very possible), I’m not sure would work here.  PLEASE, CORRECT ME IF I’M WRONG!

Our business is Project Management.  We invoice monthly on each project.  We also oversee the invoicing of everyone on the project.    At the end of the month, we create an invoice package with one cover memo listing all invoices included. Then, for each vendor (and behind the cover memo), we submit a contract summary of costs, a detail report showing each invoice to date, then the vendor’s current monthly invoice.  So the package looks like this:

Cover memo

Our summary (FM report)

Our detail report (FM report)

Our invoice (FM produced)

Invoice backup (receipts, etc, all in PDF)

Vendor A summary (FM)

Vendor A detail (FM)

Vendor A invoice(s) and backup - from mail or email

Vendor B summary (FM)

Vendor B detail (FM)

Vendor B invoice(s) and backup - from mail or email

etc

It would be so easy if I could just run the reports and add invoices at the end - or vice versa.  Right now, my script creates the memo, saves it to PDF, creates our invoice, appends to PDF, creates the summary and the detail reports, appends each to pdf, then goes on to the vendors reports and appends each one in order (by the invoice memo order, that is) to the PDF.  Then someone in our office goes into the PDF and adds the the invoices/backup after the reports for each vendor.  Sometimes we may have 50 or more vendors for one project.  VERY time-consuming and too often human error results in documents out of order.

I am hoping that the MonkeyBread DynaPDF that was suggested will work to automate this.  Actually surprised Filemaker hasn’t already addressed the PDF part — sounds like a few people would be interested in having this ability.

Thanks for your input.  I have a lot to learn - appreciate all the help I can get!

• 11. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                              philmodjunk

You correctly understand the the limitations of FileMaker and Save As PDF. The only other option that I can think of would be to keep the PDFs as separate files, zip them and email the zipped folder as an attachment. A system script or batch file could be used to zip them, I think.

I have nothing against MBS, but you might web search on PDFs and FileMaker Plug ins. It never hurts to shop around.

• 12. Re: Multi-Page PDF's Don't Show Using DeskTopPath
                                user12413

I took your suggestion and did some further research.  I found an explanation and AppleScript from Samuel Giles that I was able to adapt to work for me.  I posted the explanation (see below) for anyone else who needs the same help!

Combining FM Reports and Multi-Page PDF's in Batch Mode