11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 10:20 PM by gdurniak

Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit

SeanMcCluskey

Hello, I have a record that seems to be corrupted somehow. All users(who have access to this record) are able to view it, but no-one can edit it in any way. Including myself, I created this DB and I am the only [Full Access] user. I cannot even delete the record! Although I was able to duplicate it and transfer all related documents to the new record. No other records are having this issue. I have even gone into my Filemaker Admin panel and disconnected all users and I still get the same error, this seems to be a script that is possibly stuck running on the server?(maybe?).

The error message received by any user trying to edit the record is: "Record Locked. You cannot modify this record until "?(?)" is finished with it."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
          coherentkris

This definitely sounds like corruption.

If all users are disconnected and their is no "running" process on the FMS server i would open a backup locally to check and see if the problem record is still a problem. If its still a problem when open local then run recover on the suspect file and check the result.

• 2. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
            Jaymo

To remove the corrupt record, navigate to the record just before it, switch to a layout based on the same table occurrence but without any fields on it, navigate to the corrupt record and trying deleting it. This may work to remove the corrupt record. However, I would also be concerned about how the record got corrupted. Is your solution crashing often?

• 3. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
              SeanMcCluskey

I should have mentioned that I'm a "novice" FileMaker user. I'm sure I can figure out how to download the DB and run local but I don't know how to run recover.?. Could you provide more info?

• 4. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                coherentkris

What to do when your file is corrupt | FileMaker

How to use the FileMaker Recovery Tool - Soliant Consulting

As previously suggested root cause analysis of the event that caused the damage is highly reccomended

• 5. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                  philmodjunk

You won't be able to recover the file while it is hosted. The same process that you'd use to recover the file is what you'd use to "run local"--which just means get a copy of the file and open it in FileMaker Pro or Advanced instead of using Server.

You might try this option:

Get that copy and use recover to recover it, but use these advanced recover options:

Copy File Blocks As Is.

Rebuild Indexes Now

This is produces a file where only the indexes where rebuilt and thus this is one case where the recovered copy is OK to put into regular use again. You may find that rebuilding the indexes is sufficient to enable you to delete the problem record.

• 6. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                    SeanMcCluskey

I just created a blank layout and tried deleting that record as you stated but I am still unable to. The error messsage I got was: "this operation could not be performed because one or more of these records are being modified by other users or in another window."

I've been wondering how this could have happened as well. My solution "never" crashes for me, we've been using it for about 1.5 years now. The only issues I've had previously were problems with the iOS app crashing, nothing related to my solution. The only idea that I can come up with is the user may have been in the middle of a script and closed the app.?.? I haven't been able to ask him yet, but even if that's the case I wouldn't think the script would stay running on the server? If it is, is there a way to stop all running scripts?

• 7. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                      coherentkris

Is their any process other than FileMaker touching the hosted files? I.E. backups, disk indexing or virus scan?

The server admin console will show you if any users are connected and if any server scheduled scripted processes are in the "running" state.

Did you at least run a consistency check on the suspect file?

Perhaps reboot your server machine?

• 8. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                        SeanMcCluskey

coherentkris wrote:

Is their any process other than FileMaker touching the hosted files? I.E. backups, disk indexing or virus scan?

The server admin console will show you if any users are connected and if any server scheduled scripted processes are in the "running" state.

Did you at least run a consistency check on the suspect file?

Perhaps reboot your server machine?

There are no other application or processes accessing the solution.

I do not have any scheduled scripts at all.

I have not run a consistency check as I'm not sure what that is or how to do it, but I will look into it.

• 9. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                          SeanMcCluskey

I am now experiencing this issue at other times... I was just trying to create a new field into my "Customers" table and I get a very similar message: "These changes cannot be applied until all users finish modifying records in the table "Customers".

Waiting for 1 user(s)

? (?)

Again, I am the ONLY [Full Access] user and the ONLY user who has access to any and all settings including editing layouts, users, etc.

I no longer see how this could be just a corrupted file...? Please help! Thank you in advance and thank you to everyone so far for the information.

• 10. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                            philmodjunk

did you ever try to recover the file to check?

That message tells you that there are other users that have the record open for editing. They have entered a field of that record, made some changes and have not yet committed the record. Once no one has a record in the table open for editing, you can proceed.

But making "manage | database" level changes to a database while it is in use by others is dangerous and does have the risk that attempting to do so will damage your file. If this is common practice for you, this could very well be why you are having trouble with the file as you might have  a damaged file.

• 11. Re: Corrupted Record Won't Allow Anyone To Edit
                              gdurniak

Which version of FileMaker ?  and which OS ?

From the Admin Console,  "Stop" FileMaker Server,  so you can examine the file

On the "server" machine,  open the file with plain FileMaker Pro ( not FileMaker Server )

If that works,  you might need to re-install the FileMaker Server software

greg

> The error message received by any user trying to edit the record is: "Record Locked. You cannot modify this record until "?(?)" is finished with it."