AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker Server External Container Storage Size Limit?

Question asked by TimOwen on Feb 21, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 by TimOwen

Although the maximum storage size for Container fields in FileMaker Pro is 4GB, it is stated in Knowledge Base Article ID 11888 - Container field enhancements in FileMaker:

>>

Enhancements to Container Fields

• When using FileMaker Server, you can now configure / store container data on a separate drive.  For example, you can use a fast solid state drive (SSD) for your database and a large, slower drive for your container field data.
  • When uploading to FileMaker Server, the maximum size of all remote containers is no longer limited to 4GBs.

<<

I have a cloud-hosted, virtual server FMS15 media archive solution (running on Rackspace.com) that uses Open Storage on a separate D: drive, using the separate Container Data Path option (i.e. Enable container data folder 1). This solution has successfully stored video files up to 4GB in size, but the 4GB maximum container size limit error message is encountered when we try to upload videos larger than 4GB.

Am I misunderstanding the advice in Knowledge Base Article 11888 that: "When uploading to FileMaker Server, the maximum size of all remote containers is no longer limited to 4GBs"?

Has anyone successfully uploaded container files larger than 4GB using the Open/Remote Storage deployment scenario described above?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Owen

Tim Owen Consulting, LLC.

FBA Member

Outcomes