AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker server, local Admin Console, and virus protection software

Question asked by mday@bates.edu on Feb 23, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 by CICT

We have two Filemaker Server boxes, the current production one running FMS 14 and our new one running FMS 15.

On the FMS 14 box, they had been using the Filemaker Admin console by running a browser on the local box (localhost:16001/admin-console) but at some point this stopped working.   We don't know whether this no longer working might have coincided with an update to Windows, and update to our Sophos Endpoint Security and Control software, or something else.   Going to the localhost:16001/admin-console url brings up the FileMakerServer login but after username and password are entered it hangs and does not proceed to the Admin Console with a white spinning indicator in a red box in the upper right hand corner.

On the FMS 15 box, I was able to access the Filemaker Admin console by running a browser on the local box (localhost:16001/admin-console) prior to installing the Sophos Endpoint Security and Control but after installing it this no longer worked.  

On the new FMS 15 box, I was able to access the Filemaker Admin Console from a remote browser once I opened up Windows Firewall to allow incoming connections on TCP port 16000.  I tried making the same firewall change on our FMS 14 box and was able to access the Filemaker Admin console from remote browsers there, as well.

When I reverted the FMS 15 box to a snapshot from just before Sophos Endpoint Security and Control had been installed I was, once again, able to use the Filemaker Admin console from a browser running on the local box (localhost:16001/admin-console).

1. has anybody else had a similar problem with running Sophos Endpoint Security and Control on a Filemaker Server box and, if so, what did you do to fix it?

2. are there other virus protection solutions that people are currently running successfully with Filemaker Server on Windows Server boxes (we would be open to trying something else)?

-----------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Windows Firewall : Domain On

Sophos Endpoint Security and Control, version 10.6 last checked for updates less than 24 hours ago

- appears to be configured for anti-virus and HIPS

- our Sophos admin has turned off scanning on demand and set a daily scheduled filesystem scan

- our Sophos admin has not, to his knowledge, configured Sophos to do anything except scanning the filesystem for viruses

-----------------------------------------------

Outcomes