8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2017 9:43 AM by peteraddison

How do I delete the background box in a tab control?

peteraddison

I have a tab control in my custom theme, which is based on a standard theme. The original had square tabs and I want to make them rounded.

My problem is that there's some kind of background box on the tab control and I can't find the setting to turn it off or eliminate line and fill for the box.

Here's the way it turns out:

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.27.13 PM.png

You can see the box to the right of the last tab, and also the line along the top of the box between the rounded edges.

Here's an example of that box being invisible:

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.30.43 PM.png

Where is the setting to change this?

• 2. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
          peteraddison

Thanks for this guidance, but nothing I can change here makes any difference to the header bar that shows up at the top of the tab panel. Here's what it looks like if I turn *everything* off on this inspector panel:

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 4.10.34 PM.png

The box at the top of the tab panel is still there.

Important note: if I paste the other sample I used from the fresh theme into the file with the custom theme, it suddenly acquires the box!

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 4.13.19 PM.png

So it's something deep inside the custom theme that's doing it (copied from standard theme "condensed light" by the way, which has the box, while no others I've tried have that box.

If I change the theme from the custom theme to anything else, I can eliminate the box. However, I've got lots of layouts that hold the theme with lots of customization, so it's a painful process to go through, just to delete a little (but highly irritating) box on the tab control!

I suspect this is something to do with FileMaker not letting you really alter the CSS of the theme.

• 3. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
            keywords

I don't see Condensed Light listed in FM themes. What version of FM are you using, and what platform and OS?

• 4. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
              peteraddison

I'm using FM Pro 14, OSX El Capitan

• 5. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
                peteraddison

PM Pro 14 Advanced (sorry forgot the "advanced" part)

• 6. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
                  peteraddison

I also looked at my copy of FMPro 14 on Windows 7 and it's there also.

Theme Category "Condensed" version "Light"

• 7. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
                    keywords

OK, got it. It does look like its a characteristic of the Condensed themes. I would say the reason a pasted object acquires the box is that in your custom theme you have saved the pasted version as the default, and thus if you introduce a new pasted object that doesn't have those characteristics it acquires it. I can replicate that behaviour here on a test file, and it appears to me that once the outer box is part of the Default object setting you are more or less stuck with it. As you suspect, it may be possible to change it in the CSS somewhere, but that's outside my experience, and not something FM advises.

The only way I can think of to overcome this is to create a new custom theme and reapply that to your layouts. A bit of a pain, but is the nature of the learning curve sometimes.

• 8. Re: How do I delete the background box in a tab control?
                      peteraddison

"bit of a pain"... you mean a lot of a pain! I have hundreds of layouts. When the users complained / commented that they didn't recognize the tabs as actually being tabs, I set out to change the appearance of same. Why we had to go three years in is beyond me. It should have been easy! Except for this one weird and unique choice made by Filemaker in this standard theme category  (Condensed).

I felt the original choice of style was quite elegant. However this background element in the tabs area is unfortunate. Usually i had square tabs that filled the top of the tab control so I didn't notice the background element till i wanted to change the look of the tabs.

My challenge (mistake?) on top of not checking this particular interface style's acceptance is that i've made lots of customizations, which will have to be re-done in a new theme to keep the overall look, (such as left/right/center alignment of text) in the rest of the elements on a page.

Hopefully our discussion can serve to assist others before they get too far.

1 of 1 people found this helpful