5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2017 4:59 PM by pruppert

Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?

pruppert

So I made this unexpected discovery that my home Mac can see and open databases that are open on my work Mac even though I am not VPN'd into the work network. I was surprised to see this since the home and work Macs are obviously not on the same network. Does anyone know how this is possible? Is it via Back to My Mac or something?

• 1. Re: Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?
          PeterWindle

to answer this question, it would require some knowledge of your host. Are you accessing it using a domain name address or IP?

It is entirely possible to access a hosted database via external networks, I do it often. The ones I access are usually using a WAN IP address or a domain name that is available via a registered domain name.

• 2. Re: Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?
            pruppert

The host Mac has a host name on the work network. The home client Mac is connecting via this host name. What's strange is that I never entered that host name into filmmaker on my home Mac. That host name appears to have somehow synced to the home computer. How would that have happened? Is it possible to make the host only available on its local network while still using the host name?

What's also interesting is that it does not seem possible to access the work host from FileMaker Go apps via the host name unless VPN'd to the work network. This is the behavior I had expected for the Mac also. Is there an explanation for why the  Go apps cannot see the host name but my Mac can?

• 3. Re: Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?
              wimdecorte

pruppert wrote:

Is there an explanation for why the Go apps cannot see the host name but my Mac can?

I'm sure there is, otherwise it wouldn't happen.

But we'd need a LOT more information about the network and the actual setup on the work side, router & firewall configs etc.

Could be a simple as that you really are connected to the VPN without knowing it...

• 4. Re: Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?
                pruppert

Another question on this that maybe someone can shed some light on.

The home Mac is connecting the the work Mac using a favorite host. Thing is, I don't recall adding this favorite host in FileMaker on the home Mac. The favorite host's address is an IPv6 number. I don't work with those often at all so surely would have remembered setting that up (I think). I am wondering how this favorite host was created on my home Mac. Two possibilities that I can see.

1. I did create a favorite host in FileMaker Go a few days ago to the work Mac using its network host name (not an IP address). Could that somehow have synced back to my home Mac as a favorite host with the IPv6 address of the work Mac (via iCloud or something? though I am not aware of such syncing feature in FileMaker).
                2. I did actually set up the favorite host at some point but just don't remember doing so.

In either case, I am able to connect to the work Mac from a Mac on an outside network without VPN. Does IPv6 enable this?

• 5. Re: Home computer sees filemaker host on work computer - no VPN - How?
                  pruppert

On further investigation, my best guess is that I did set up this favorite host at some point in the past but do not remember doing so. Further, It appears I set it up using the Back to My Mac IPv6 address

See here for how to do get that address:  lion - Can I use Back To My Mac's mDNS address and for ssh and other routing of traffic? - Ask Different)

The Back to My Mac address explains how I am able to connect from my home Mac while not on VPN and why this address does not work from FileMaker Go since iOS cannot access Back to My Mac.

… now I am off to the doctor to have my memory evaluated.