7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2017 3:56 AM by fmpdude

Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?

user24799

I see options for Daily, Weekly and Every n days...but how do I create a schedule that runs on the first of each month?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
          CarlSchwarz

Write a batch file.  The batch file can have in it

"fmsadmin.exe backup (file(s) to backup)"

Then use task scheduler in Windows to run the batch file on the first of the month.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
            Markus Schneider

You could

- set a weekly schedule that keeps 4 versions, the first one will be also the monthly one (~4weeks...)

- set a 'all n days' schedule with an interval of 30 days, keep one version

If You need a schedule that runs every 1 of a month, You need to batch-script it as Carl mentioned

unfortunately, there is no monthly option - would be handy if one needs a backup per month

Edit:

You could also have a synchronizer (we got ChronoSync on OSX) that copies a daily schedule every 1. of a month to another volume. Might be the easiest way, just maje sure that it copies the files from the FMServer's backup-folder - NOT the live files...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
              user24799

Thanks for the feedback. I am on a Mac but I get the idea.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
                fmpdude

So easy!

On Mac, just use Cron system utility instead of the Windows Scheduler.

I schedule lots of stuff on my Mac.

Check out the free "CronniX" (as just one of the many possible choices):

You schedule a task using whatever you would type on the command line.

1.  So, for example, if you want to schedule your Mac Mail application at a particular time, you could enter (as the "command"): /usr/bin/open  /Applications/Mail.app

(To Wit, In Terminal you could just type:

)

2.  If you wanted to schedule a Java program (that requires another command line argument, as an example), you could type this as the "command": java -classpath /<path_to_class_file>  com.yourcompany.ExtractWatchExpressions

(the second example runs a program I wrote to backup the watch expressions from the FMP plist file after that file was repeatedly being wiped out due to FMP force-quits and FMI's insistence to have critical configuration data in volatile files. The format of that "java" command may appear a bit complicated due to the fact the program has a long "package name"). Just another example.

--

Then, all you have to do is schedule each task. The image below is the "simple" scheduling screen, but there is more flexibility, if needed, on the others:

(The task shown here runs at 7:30 every morning.)

--

So, you should be able to schedule your FMS backups using this idea.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help, OK?

• 5. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
                  wimdecorte

Following up on Carl's suggestion.  You can create a schedule in FMS and not set it execute.  Then use the fmsadmin command to run the schedule whenever you want.  That saves you from having to list the files or folders you want to backup.  That keeps the setup of  your schedule nicely within the FMS admin console.

fmsadmin run schedule x

(where x is the id of the schedule, you can see the id by doing an 'fmsadmin list schedules')

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
                    siplus

The free Task till dawn software I mentioned today in another post runs on windows and on macs.

It allows you to - for example - start a specific database on the first day of a month and by setting a correct OnFirstWindowOpen script you can go wild.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 16.28.26.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is there a way to run a monthly backup schedule on FileMaker Server 15?
                      fmpdude

Task till Dawn is another good (free) choice, agreed, though on Windows you have task scheduler with its own well-known standard interface.  I like it that Task Till Dawn can execute tasks in the background, though this is still "experimental" in the current version.